Time ball needs for a certain path/courve

• Thread starter hriby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Time
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving calculating the time it takes for a ball to travel along a given path. The formula for calculating this time is provided, along with a link to a website with further information. The conversation also delves into the topic of calculating this time for a specific curve in parametric form.
hriby
Hi,
it is probably a simple question, but it bothers me for quite some time.
How can I calculate time that ball needs for certain path/courve, where path equation is given?
I could use
[tex]t=\int_{T_1}^{T_2}\frac{ds}{v}[/tex]
where [tex]v[/tex] is velocity and [tex]ds^2=dx^2+dy^2[/tex].
Because of
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m\,v^2=m\,g\,y[/tex]
we get
[tex]v=\sqrt{2g\,y}[/tex]
and new "formula" for time is
[tex]t_{12}=\int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\sqrt{1+{y'}^2}}{\sqrt{2g\,y}}dx, \quad y'=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
If we have a curve in parametric form (e.g. cycloide), how can I calculate this equation numericaly?
Any guidance/hint/web link is appreciated.
Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks benorin, but I need to go a little bit further (and that is missing to me :shy:):

let say, that I get exact parametric equation for cycloid (like in brachistochrone problem, I numericaly calculate [tex]\frac{1}{2}k^2[/tex]). How shall I proceed with integral? Thx.

I'll try to come back to this later, after my homework is done. Note to self: mention awesome solution to the brachistochrone problem by means of fractional integration which may be found in Special Functions by Andrews, Askey, and Roy (the big red book upstairs in your room).

1. What is a time ball and how does it work?

A time ball is a large, visible ball that is dropped at a predetermined time to signal the time to ships at sea or to people on land. It works by using a system of ropes and pulleys to raise the ball to the top of a mast, and then releasing it at a specific time, usually noon.

2. Why is a time ball needed for a certain path/courve?

A time ball is needed for a certain path or curve in order to accurately signal the time to ships or people in a specific location. The curvature of the Earth and the rotation of the Earth on its axis means that different places have different local times, so a time ball is needed to synchronize timekeeping.

3. How is the location determined for a time ball to be placed?

The location of a time ball is typically determined by factors such as the location of major shipping routes, the need to synchronize timekeeping in a specific region, and the availability of a suitable structure to support the time ball.

4. What is the history of time balls?

The first time ball was installed in Portsmouth, England in 1829, and the idea quickly spread to other major ports around the world. Time balls were used as a signal for ships to set their chronometers, which were essential for accurate navigation. They were eventually replaced by more modern methods of timekeeping, but some time balls are still in use today for historical or ceremonial purposes.

5. Are time balls still relevant in modern times?

While time balls are no longer used for practical timekeeping purposes, they still hold cultural and historical significance. Some time balls are still operated for ceremonial purposes, and they serve as a reminder of the important role they played in maritime navigation and the development of accurate timekeeping methods.