Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time ball needs for a certain path/courve

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    it is probably a simple question, but it bothers me for quite some time.
    How can I calculate time that ball needs for certain path/courve, where path equation is given?
    I could use
    [tex]t=\int_{T_1}^{T_2}\frac{ds}{v}[/tex]
    where [tex]v[/tex] is velocity and [tex]ds^2=dx^2+dy^2[/tex].
    Because of
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}m\,v^2=m\,g\,y[/tex]
    we get
    [tex]v=\sqrt{2g\,y}[/tex]
    and new "formula" for time is
    [tex]t_{12}=\int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\sqrt{1+{y'}^2}}{\sqrt{2g\,y}}dx, \quad y'=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
    If we have a curve in parametric form (e.g. cycloide), how can I calculate this equasion numericaly?
    Any guidance/hint/web link is appreciated.
    Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

5. Nov 16, 2005 #4
    Thanks benorin, but I need to go a little bit further (and that is missing to me :shy:):

let say, that I get exact parametric equasion for cycloid (like in brachistochrone problem, I numericaly calculate [tex]\frac{1}{2}k^2[/tex]). How shall I proceed with integral? Thx.

6. Nov 17, 2005 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

I'll try to come back to this later, after my homework is done. Note to self: mention awesome solution to the brachistochrone problem by means of fractional integration which may be found in Special Functions by Andrews, Askey, and Roy (the big red book upstairs in your room).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?