Time Dilation Confusion: Need Help Understanding

In summary, the concept of time dilation is based on the relativity of simultaneity, which states that the perceived time difference between two clocks can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that while one observer may see the other's clock running slower, the perception may be reversed from the other observer's point of view. The mistake in understanding time dilation lies in not considering the relativity of simultaneity, which can be better understood by examining the concept of coordinate time difference and surfaces of simultaneity.
DarkStalker
Hello.
I need some help understanding time dilation.

So the idea is that moving clocks tick slowly. Say there was an observer A who, by his frame of reference, is stationary, and he sees an object B moving past it at high velocity. From what I understand, to A it would appear as if B's clocks are ticking slowly compared to his. In other words, to B it would appear as if A's clocks are ticking faster.

But that's from the point of view of A. If you look at it from the point of view of B, it is he who is stationary, and A is the one who is moving at high velocity. So A's clock should be ticking slower compared to B's.

There's seemingly a conflict between these two conclusions.
Where's the mistake in my understanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not considering the relativity of simultaneity.

Orodruin said:
You are not considering the relativity of simultaneity.
I'm familiar with the concept, but I do not see the link between that and my scenario. Could you please elaborate, or perhaps link me to some texts that help me understand it a little better?

When you are saying that a clock runs slow when moving, you are just saying that the time elapsed on the clock is less than the coordinate time difference. The coordinate time difference represents the difference in the time coordinate between to surfaces of simultaneity. These surfaces are going to be different depending on which system you consider the situation in.

Likes DarkStalker
DarkStalker said:
I'm familiar with the concept, but I do not see the link between that and my scenario. Could you please elaborate, or perhaps link me to some texts that help me understand it a little better?

While the two clocks are side by side we set them to both to 12:00 noon. A looks at his clock one hour later and sees that it reads 1:00 PM. He also sees that at the same time that his clock reads 1:00 PM B's clock reads 12:30 PM so he concludes that B's clock is running slow. But because of the relativity of simultaneity, it does not follow that B will find that A's clock reads 1:00 PM at the same time that B's clock reads 12:30; in fact, for B "my clock reads 12:30" happens at the same time as "A's clock reads 12:15" and B will conclude that A's clock is the one that's slow.

I've bolded all the occurrences of that phrase "at the same time" to underscore the extent to which simultaneity is being assumed whenever we compare physically separated clocks.

Last edited:
Likes DarkStalker

Related to Time Dilation Confusion: Need Help Understanding

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects in different frames of reference. This is due to the effects of gravity and motion on the fabric of spacetime.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because of the principles of relativity, which state that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that time can pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative speed and gravitational fields.

3. Can time dilation be observed?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured in various experiments and observations. For example, the famous Twin Paradox thought experiment demonstrates the effects of time dilation on a pair of twins, where one travels at high speeds while the other remains on Earth.

4. Does time dilation affect all objects equally?

No, time dilation affects objects differently depending on their velocity and proximity to massive objects. Objects that are moving at high speeds or are in close proximity to massive objects, such as planets or black holes, will experience more time dilation than objects that are stationary or far away from massive objects.

5. How does time dilation impact everyday life?

In our everyday lives, the effects of time dilation are negligible. However, time dilation is taken into account in systems such as GPS, as the satellites are moving at high speeds and experience time dilation, which must be corrected for accurate positioning. Time dilation also plays a crucial role in theories such as general relativity and our understanding of the universe.