Time Dilation: Finding Velocity & Age Difference

In summary, Abby and Billy separate and Abby travels at a uniform speed to a star 4.2 light years away. Upon returning, she is 5.2 years younger than Billy. Abby's velocity was 0.9c and during her travel, Billy aged by 5.2 years. Time dilation was used to find the velocity and time experienced by both Abby and Billy.
Nitric
1. Twins Abby and Billy separate. Abby travels at a uniform speed (except for the brief turn-around period) to a star 4.2 light years away and, upon returning, finds that she is 5.2 years younger than Bill. How fast was Abby traveling? By how much has Bill aged during the period Abby was traveling?

2. T'=2L/C
T' = T_o=sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
deltaT = T' - T_o

3. So far I have found the time dilation using T'=2L/C => 2(4.2)/C = 2.8^-8
I tried using T' = T_o=sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) to find velocity, is that correct? I'm not sure what T_o is.

Physics news on Phys.org
TimeExperiencedByBill = TimeExperiencedByAbby + 5.2years

TimeExperiencedByAbby = TimeExperiencedByBill * SQRT(1-V²/C²)

V = DistanceTravelled/TimeExperiencedByBill

I figured out the velocity, which is 0.9c. How do I find how much Bill aged during the time Abby was traveling?

I think that if you manipulate the three equations I provided you should be able to come up with the value of TimeExperiencedByBill

lol i figured it out by using v=d/t

Related to Time Dilation: Finding Velocity & Age Difference

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass differently for two observers who are moving relative to each other at different speeds. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity and is only noticeable at very high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

2. How does time dilation affect velocity?

Time dilation affects velocity by causing time to appear to pass more slowly for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, time will appear to slow down for that object relative to a stationary observer.

3. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

No, time dilation is only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. These conditions are not typically encountered in everyday life, so time dilation is not observable in our day-to-day experiences.

4. How is time dilation related to the concept of aging?

Time dilation is related to the concept of aging because it affects the passage of time for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that for objects that are moving very quickly, time will appear to pass more slowly, causing them to age slower compared to a stationary observer. This has been confirmed through experiments with high-speed particles and atomic clocks.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

No, time dilation is a fundamental aspect of the universe and cannot be reversed. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been confirmed through numerous experiments. However, the effects of time dilation can be predicted and accounted for in calculations and measurements.