1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dilation in gravitational field

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I recently had a test in the theory of relativity, and there was one task which I could not solve. This one has bothered me since the day I had the test.
    It was a compound task about GPS-satellites.
    There is no tricky calculations, or anything like that. The task aims at proving an expression.

[tex]\frac{{t_e }}{{\sqrt {1 - \frac{{2\gamma M}}{{c^2 r}}} }} = \frac{{t_s }}{{\sqrt{1 - \frac{{2\gamma M}}{{c^2 (r + h)}}} }}\[/tex]

Where [tex]{t_e }\[/tex] is the time on earths surface, [tex]{t_s }\[/tex] is the time for the satellite, r is the radius from the center of earth to the surface.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\tau = \sqrt {1 - \frac{{2\gamma M}}{{c^2 r}}} t\[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried a lot of editing these expressions, but it didn't get me anywhere. I really do not now how to prove the expression. I do imagine that there are some theory I need to figure, so that I can do something quirky with the expressions or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2
    Oh. It looks like something happened to the LaTex-codes. Any ideas of what to do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook