Time Dilation Notation in SR: Clarifying the Differential Form

In summary, the conversation discusses the different notations for time dilation, specifically t=τγ, Δt=Δτγ, and dt=dτγ. It is clarified that the third notation does not imply t=∫τγ and is simply a convention without mathematical significance. However, it is also mentioned that all of these notations are incomplete and should not be used for calculations without a complete coordinate chart. The speaker also shares their use of the second version of the notation in their application for displaying in-line scenarios in Special Relativity. They also mention that the first version is only valid for an observer starting at the origin and being inertial, while the last version is always valid but with a potentially incorrect integral.
connorp
So I have seen time dilation written as all three of the following: t=τγ, Δt=Δτγ, dt=dτγ. I'm assuming this not to be the case, but just wanted to clarify that the third (differential) notation does not imply that t=∫τγ? That really wouldn't make sense (to me at least), so I'm assuming that that notation is just a convention and has no mathematical significance over the first equation (t=τγ)?

Physics news on Phys.org
All of these notations are incomplete, and I would not advise using them as actual formulas in any calculation. To actually compute correct answers, you need a complete coordinate chart, not just a single coordinate.

connorp said:
So I have seen time dilation written as all three of the following: t=τγ, Δt=Δτγ, dt=dτγ. I'm assuming this not to be the case, but just wanted to clarify that the third (differential) notation does not imply that t=∫τγ? That really wouldn't make sense (to me at least), so I'm assuming that that notation is just a convention and has no mathematical significance over the first equation (t=τγ)?
I take advantage of the second version of that nomenclature in the application I wrote to display in-line scenarios in Special Relativity. Here, for example, is an observer that starts out at rest in the Inertial Reference Frame. The dots mark off 1-nsecs increments of Proper Time. After 4 nsecs of his time, τ, he moves away at 0.6c. Notice how the Coordinate Time deltas for each pair of marks is 1.25 times the Proper Time increment while at the speed of 0.6c. After 5 more nsecs of Proper time, the observer starts traveling at 0.8c with γ=1.667. During this last segment, the Coordinate Time deltas is 1.667 times the Proper Time. I wrote my application so that I could specify each segment of an observer's profile as a specific amount of Proper Time at a specific speed. The application uses Δt=Δτγ along with the specified speed (and Δx=vΔt) to determine where to put the marks on the spacetime diagram:

TDNotation.PNG

The first version of your nomenclature is valid only when the observer starts at the origin and is inertial, at least for the first segment of the scenario.

I think the last version of your nomenclature is also always valid but I don't think the integral is specified correctly.

Related to Time Dilation Notation in SR: Clarifying the Differential Form

1. What is time dilation notation in Special Relativity (SR)?

Time dilation notation in SR is a mathematical representation of the phenomenon known as time dilation, which occurs when an observer measures time differently for two events that occur in different reference frames. It is a crucial concept in understanding the effects of relativity on time and space.

2. How is time dilation notation expressed in the differential form?

The differential form of time dilation notation is expressed as Δt = γΔt’, where Δt is the time measured in the observer's frame, Δt’ is the time measured in the moving frame, and γ is the Lorentz factor, which takes into account the relative velocity between the two frames.

3. What does the differential form of time dilation notation clarify?

The differential form of time dilation notation clarifies the role of the Lorentz factor in calculating time dilation. It clearly shows how the relative velocity between two frames affects the perception of time in each frame, and how this is represented mathematically.

4. How is the differential form of time dilation notation used in practical applications?

The differential form of time dilation notation is used in various practical applications, such as in GPS technology, particle accelerators, and high-speed transportation systems. It allows for accurate calculations of time dilation effects, which are essential for these technologies to function properly.

5. Is time dilation notation in SR only applicable to time?

No, time dilation notation in SR is also applicable to space. Just as time can appear to pass differently for observers in different frames, so can the measurement of distances. This is known as length contraction, and it is also represented mathematically in the differential form of time dilation notation.