Time dilation on the surface of the sun

In summary: So, what would the age difference be for say a twin on Earth and a twin who spent their life (shielded) on the surface of the sun? Say they met up again after 70 years on earth?If they spent their entire life on the Sun, their age would be about 73 years older than if they were on Earth.
Andrew Wright
Hi,

I am wondering. Is it possible to predict the amount of time dilation on the surface of the sun compared to the surface of the earth? Is this a correct question to ask, or have I made a bad assumption?

Thanks in advance.

Ayjay

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your frame of reference?
If you are standing on the surface of the Earth there is no time dilation locally, and if you could stand on the surface of the Sun there would be no time dilation locally there either.

Time dilation is what an observer in one frame sees happening to another object which is either traveling near light speed in relation to the observer, or otherwise it's in a very strong gravitational field which the observer is not in.

As seen from Earth and object on the surface of the Sun is in a relatively strong gravitational field, however I doubt that it's strong enough to cause a noticeable time dilation effect.
I'll leave it to the math gurus here to work out the exact figure but I'd guess it would be very small.

Last edited:
Andrew Wright said:
I am wondering. Is it possible to predict the amount of time dilation on the surface of the sun compared to the surface of the earth? Is this a correct question to ask, or have I made a bad assumption?

Sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation

So, what would the age difference be for say a twin on Earth and a twin who spent their life (shielded) on the surface of the sun? Say they met up again after 70 years on earth?

droppedImage.png

To illustrate then, without accounting for the effects of rotation, proximity to the Earth's gravitational well will cause a clock on the planet's surface to accumulate around 0.0219 fewer seconds over a period of one year than would a distant observer's clock. In comparison, a clock on the surface of the sun will accumulate around 66.4 fewer seconds in one year.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation

15characters said:
without accounting for the effects of rotation,

There's nothing wrong with 15Characters's reply, but OP should be aware that the rotational effects are also noticeable at the scale that we're working with here.

Likes 15characters
Nugatory said:
There's nothing wrong with 15Characters's reply, but OP should be aware that the rotational effects are also noticeable at the scale that we're working with here.

For example, for that far off observer, Earth's position in the Sun's gravitational field and orbital speed alone accounts for ~0.469 sec over a year.

Likes 15characters

1. What is time dilation on the surface of the sun?

Time dilation on the surface of the sun is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass more slowly for an observer on the surface of the sun compared to an observer in a different location with a weaker gravitational field.

2. How does the intense gravity on the surface of the sun cause time dilation?

The intense gravity on the surface of the sun causes time dilation because it warps the fabric of space-time, making it difficult for light and other forms of energy to escape. This results in a stronger gravitational pull and therefore a slower passage of time.

3. How much does time slow down on the surface of the sun?

The exact amount of time dilation on the surface of the sun depends on the strength of the gravitational field. However, for an observer on the surface of the sun, time would appear to pass about 30% slower compared to an observer far away from the sun.

4. Can time dilation on the surface of the sun be measured?

Yes, time dilation on the surface of the sun can be measured using highly accurate clocks. These clocks would show a slight difference in the passage of time between an observer on the surface of the sun and an observer in a weaker gravitational field.

5. How does time dilation on the surface of the sun affect space travel?

Time dilation on the surface of the sun can have a significant impact on space travel. As time appears to pass slower on the surface of the sun, astronauts traveling near the sun would experience time at a different rate compared to those on Earth. This could lead to issues with coordinating and synchronizing missions.