Time Dilation Probes: Exploring the Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of launching probes into space at different velocities to measure time dilation. The speaker suggests creating a 3-dimensional data field based on this data and potentially finding a way to launch a probe with absolute zero velocity. However, it is pointed out that there is no absolute velocity and time dilation is symmetric. The conversation also addresses the misconception that there is an "outer layer" or center of the universe. It is clarified that reality is not relative, but differential aging is a real effect that depends on the specific geometry of spacetime. The conversation also touches on the need to adjust satellites for differential aging and the fact that time dilation is not correlated with position in the universe.
Engineer_pleb
TL;DR Summary
Defining time dilation zones in order to find the slowest moving region in the universe
Firstly, I am a Mechanical engineer working in the aerospace industry and I know very little compared to the collective community here and my formal education had to do with practical and basic stuff, so apologies if I’m overlooking a basic principle or something.

my idea: what if we launched a bunch of probes at specific velocities into space and record the amount of time it take each probe to travel a certain distance, then finding how much time dilation that probe experienced... using the data from a bunch of these probes going in various directions, create a 3 dimensional data field, then define some layer lines based on how much time dilation each probe experienced compared to that of Earth assuming Earth is zero/control. I suspect if you sent enough probes far enough out (I don’t know how far out, a few km? thousands of light years?) I’d suspect you’d be able to layer the time dilation data as a series of spheres where time dilation increases as the probes travel with greater velocity towards the outer layers. If I’m right, then the center of the sphere would have zero time dilation and we could in theory launch a probe at the exact velocity dictated by that data at the exact angle to negate the inertia the probe had while on earth, and that probe could be said to have absolute zero velocity...?

now I’m really stretching my luck with this statement, but if we found an absolute zero speed, then we could just used data we have of the inertia of other galaxies and track it all back with probably a lot of error back to some converging area, the center of the universe.

This might be physics vomit but I’m very curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no absolute velocity and time dilation from motion is symmetric. We will see the clocks on the spacecraft run slower, the spacecraft will see the clocks on Earth run slower by the same amount.

There is also no "outer layer", whatever that is supposed to mean. All points in the universe are equal on a large scale. The universe doesn't have a center or an edge.

correct me if I’m wrong but if you travel faster, you will experience time slower. I know each reality is relative, but the reason I thought of this is because we have to adjust satellites For time dilation, so i wasn’t sure if you linearly sent probes in multiple directions, if one probe may be experiencing a faster time than another probe or if it’s all the same and time dilation has no correlation with your position in the universe.

Engineer_pleb said:
if you travel faster, you will experience time slower

No, this is wrong. You experience time the same--one second per second.

If you and I follow different paths through spacetime, and then we compare our elapsed times after we meet up again, our elapsed times might be different, yes. But the rule for determining which one of our elapsed times will be shorter is not "which one is moving", because "moving" has no absolute meaning. You have to actually look at the geometry--at the geometry of spacetime and the specific paths you and I follow through that geometry.

Engineer_pleb said:
I know each reality is relative

No, "reality" is not relative. "Reality" is the things that are invariant--that don't depend on how you choose your coordinates. "Time dilation" is not "reality" in that sense. But differential aging--different elapsed times for people following different paths through spacetime--is "reality". It just doesn't work the way you are thinking; see above.

Engineer_pleb said:
the reason I thought of this is because we have to adjust satellites For time dilation

No, we have to adjust them for differential aging--the fact that, for example, the elapsed time on a GPS satellite's clock, between one time it passes directly over some reference point (such as the U. S. Naval Observatory, where, IIRC, the master reference atomic clocks for the GPS system are located) and the next, is longer than the elapsed time on the clock on the ground. So we have to correct for that because we want the reference time for GPS to be the time on the ground clock.

Engineer_pleb said:
if you linearly sent probes in multiple directions, if one probe may be experiencing a faster time than another probe

Whether there was differential aging between the probes would depend on the specific geometry of the spacetime region where you sent the probes.

Engineer_pleb said:
or if it’s all the same and time dilation has no correlation with your position in the universe.

Differential aging does depend on spacetime geometry, so, for example, if we put satellites in orbit about the Moon with the same altitude as GPS satellites orbit about the Earth, the differential aging between them and clocks on the Moon's surface would not be the same as the differential aging between GPS satellite clocks and Earth ground clocks.

This is more wild than i imagined initially, but I think I understand a little more now and why my idea wouldn’t work. I think I was trying to force the idea of absolutism upon a strictly relativistic system. I really appreciate the in depth explanations it helped a lot.

when you refer to differing spacetime geometries, are we talking about how gravity warps the geometry ?

Likes sdkfz
Engineer_pleb said:
I think I was trying to force the idea of absolutism upon a strictly relativistic system.
Basically, yes. Although be wary of going too far the other way and concluding "everything is relative". Velocity certainly is, and time dilation depends on the square of velocity, so that's all relative. But many things (notably, instrument readings) can be expressed in coordinate-independent ways. The theory wouldn't be much use if it couldn't predict the results of some experiment, even if it does provide multiple routes to get there.
Engineer_pleb said:
when you refer to differing spacetime geometries, are we talking about how gravity warps the geometry ?
Gravity is spacetime curvature. Peter is simply noting that if you are in a different gravitational field you may well get different results from the same experiment. This is obviously true (drop a hammer here and do it on the moon - measure the fall time). What's relevant here is that comparing clock tick rates can give different results in different gravitational fields.

Engineer_pleb said:

Gravity does not warp the geometry, gravity is the curvature of spacetime.

Spacetime ultimately is described as a geometrical object that differs in many regards to the normal geometry of Euclidean space that we are all quite familiar with. However, it is also similar in many regards. You do not need to go into GR in order to encounter the geometry of spacetime, it is present in SR too, but with a flat geometry rather than a curved one (this does not prevent there being geometrical effects, see my Insight https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/geometrical-view-time-dilation-twin-paradox/).

I wonder if one could try to remove the confounding influence of velocity between differing frames. A probe can be edged toward a gravitating body, and at each step, held so that it is a constant distance, then the probe definitely reports slower clock speeds the closer it gets. This could be done throughout a region where distances are agreed to be mainly static between observers.

1977ub said:
I wonder if one could try to remove the confounding influence of velocity between differing frames.
That's not "frames" really, but you can certainly do this kind of experiment. I believe these days atomic clocks are precise enough to measure the difference in tick rates between clocks on and under a desk. However, it's only possible to separate tick rate comparisons into a component due to velocity and a component due to height in a class of spacetimes called "stationary" spacetimes. The Earth's gravitational field is a very decent approximation to stationary, but once you're looking at the whole solar system and beyond it gets harder and harder to pretend.

Likes PeroK
Ibix said:
I believe these days atomic clocks are precise enough to measure the difference in tick rates between clocks on and under a desk.
Time dilation with 30 cm height difference.
The clocks are so good you have to specify where in the clock the time reference is.

• Wow
Likes Mister T, DennisN, vanhees71 and 1 other person
mfb said:
Time dilation with 30 cm height difference.
The clocks are so good you have to specify where in the clock the time reference is.
Shame on NIST for its description of gravitational time dilation in terms off force rather than potential. New Scientist, I'd expect such, but NIST!??

Likes PeroK and Ibix
Well, it's more difficult to write a correct popular-science article than a scientific paper. I'm pretty sure NIST physicists know that in relativity there are no forces but only local interactions in the sense of field theory, but to write in a way to be understandable by the public they use the more common experience of non-relativistic forces.

vanhees71 said:
Well, it's more difficult to write a correct popular-science article than a scientific paper. I'm pretty sure NIST physicists know that in relativity there are no forces but only local interactions in the sense of field theory, but to write in a way to be understandable by the public they use the more common experience of non-relativistic forces.
The issue is that even looked at in Newtonian fashion, time dilation is proportional to potential difference not force. The maximum time dilation may be where there is no gravitational force, e.g. center of a planet. This is perfectly explainable in terms of Newtonian potential, but not Newtonian force. We get much confusion here from people thinking in terms of force.

?

In Newtonian physics there's no gravitational time dilation at all in accordance with Newton's notion of absolute time (and space), or do you mean the non-relativistic approximation of the metric, where only the Newtonian potential of the Newtonian gravitational force enters (and in Newton's physics gravity is described as an instantaneously acting force though already Newton himself had his doubts about the concept of an instantaneous action at a distance)?

vanhees71 said:
?

In Newtonian physics there's no gravitational time dilation at all in accordance with Newton's notion of absolute time (and space), or do you mean the non-relativistic approximation of the metric, where only the Newtonian potential of the Newtonian gravitational force enters (and in Newton's physics gravity is described as an instantaneously acting force though already Newton himself had his doubts about the concept of an instantaneous action at a distance)?
Of course that’s what I mean and what I said. You introduce that time dilation is proportional to Newtonian potential difference, and you get over 6 significant figures accuracy anywhere around and in a planet like earth. The key point is simply that if you want to build on beginner intuitions, you want to use the concept of potential energy difference not force, when talking about gravitational time dilation.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a time dilation probe?

A time dilation probe is a spacecraft designed to study the effects of time dilation, a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object that is moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

2. How do time dilation probes work?

Time dilation probes use advanced technology such as atomic clocks to measure the difference in time between the probe and a stationary reference point. The probe's speed and distance from massive objects can also affect the rate of time, allowing scientists to observe and study the effects of time dilation.

3. What are the potential benefits of using time dilation probes?

Time dilation probes can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and help us better understand the nature of time and space. They can also aid in the development of more accurate navigation systems and improve our understanding of the universe.

4. What challenges do scientists face when using time dilation probes?

One of the main challenges is accurately measuring the effects of time dilation, as it requires precise instruments and calculations. Additionally, the effects of time dilation can be very small, making it difficult to observe and study. Another challenge is designing and launching a probe that can withstand the extreme conditions of space travel.

5. Are there any current or planned missions involving time dilation probes?

Yes, there are several missions that have used or are planning to use time dilation probes. For example, the Gravity Probe B mission launched by NASA in 2004 aimed to measure the effects of Earth's gravity on time. Another mission, the Atomic Clock Ensemble in Space (ACES), is a joint project between the European Space Agency and the French space agency aiming to test the effects of time dilation in space.