1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time evolution operator in terms of Hamiltonian

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Show that if the Hamiltonian depends on time and [itex][H(t_1),H(t_2)]=0[/itex], the time development operator is given by
    [tex]U(t)=\mathrm{exp}\left[-\frac{i}{\hbar}\int_0^t H(t')dt'\right]."[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}U=HU[/itex]
    [itex]U(dt)=I-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t)dt[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first thing I tried was to rearrange the first of the relevant equations:
    [tex]\left(\frac{d}{dt}U\right)U^{-1}=-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t).[/tex]
    I can then integrate both sides; if the LHS could turn into an expression like [itex]\ln{U}[/itex] I'd be done, but that didn't work out. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2
    What is the derivative of [itex]\ln U[/itex]?

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    If U was an ordinary function I would say [itex]U^{-1}\frac{d}{dt}U[/itex], but considering that U is an operator function, I'm not sure. I don't know how [itex]\ln{U}[/itex] is even defined, much less how to apply chain rule to it.

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try expanding the expression you have for U(t) using a Taylor series and show that it satisfies the Schrodinger equation.

6. Aug 28, 2012 #5
    Like any function of an operator, [itex]\ln{U}[/itex] is defined in terms of it's Taylor series. More specifically in this case, it's the inverse series of the exponential function. It exists iff [itex]U^{-1}[/itex] exists.

So, working along the lines of your attempted solution, you would get something like:
    [tex]U^{-1} \partial_t U = -\frac{i}{\hbar}U^{-1}HU \;.[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook