Time evolution operator in terms of Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time development operator U(t) in the case where the Hamiltonian depends on time and [H(t_1),H(t_2)]=0. It is shown that the operator can be expressed as U(t)=exp[-i/\hbar \int_0^t H(t') dt']. The conversation then discusses the definition of lnU in terms of its Taylor series and its application to the problem at hand. The conversation concludes that the operator lnU exists only if U^{-1} exists and that U^{-1} \partial_t U = -i/\hbar U^{-1} HU.
dEdt

Homework Statement

"Show that if the Hamiltonian depends on time and [itex][H(t_1),H(t_2)]=0[/itex], the time development operator is given by
[tex]U(t)=\mathrm{exp}\left[-\frac{i}{\hbar}\int_0^t H(t')dt'\right]."[/tex]

Homework Equations

[itex]i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}U=HU[/itex]
[itex]U(dt)=I-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t)dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I tried was to rearrange the first of the relevant equations:
[tex]\left(\frac{d}{dt}U\right)U^{-1}=-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t).[/tex]
I can then integrate both sides; if the LHS could turn into an expression like [itex]\ln{U}[/itex] I'd be done, but that didn't work out. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the derivative of [itex]\ln U[/itex]?

If U was an ordinary function I would say [itex]U^{-1}\frac{d}{dt}U[/itex], but considering that U is an operator function, I'm not sure. I don't know how [itex]\ln{U}[/itex] is even defined, much less how to apply chain rule to it.

Try expanding the expression you have for U(t) using a Taylor series and show that it satisfies the Schrodinger equation.

dEdt said:
If U was an ordinary function I would say [itex]U^{-1}\frac{d}{dt}U[/itex], but considering that U is an operator function, I'm not sure. I don't know how [itex]\ln{U}[/itex] is even defined, much less how to apply chain rule to it.

Like any function of an operator, [itex]\ln{U}[/itex] is defined in terms of it's Taylor series. More specifically in this case, it's the inverse series of the exponential function. It exists iff [itex]U^{-1}[/itex] exists.

So, working along the lines of your attempted solution, you would get something like:
[tex]U^{-1} \partial_t U = -\frac{i}{\hbar}U^{-1}HU \;.[/tex]

What is the time evolution operator in terms of Hamiltonian?

The time evolution operator in terms of Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation that describes how a quantum system evolves over time. It is denoted by the symbol U(t) and is calculated using the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system.

How is the time evolution operator calculated?

The time evolution operator is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the state of a quantum system changes over time. It is given by the formula U(t) = e^(-iHt/h), where H is the Hamiltonian operator and h is Planck's constant.

What is the significance of the Hamiltonian in the time evolution operator?

The Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that represents the total energy of a system. It is used in the calculation of the time evolution operator because it provides a way to describe how a quantum system evolves over time based on its energy levels.

How does the time evolution operator relate to quantum measurements?

The time evolution operator plays a crucial role in quantum measurements as it allows us to predict the state of a quantum system at any given time. By applying the operator to the initial state of the system, we can determine the probability of obtaining a certain measurement outcome.

Can the time evolution operator be used for all quantum systems?

Yes, the time evolution operator can be used for all quantum systems, regardless of their size or complexity. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is necessary for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.