Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time it take for small objects to come together under gravity

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    Hey everyone!!

I've done this experiment and i find it interesting how objects of any mass just randomly attract each other. Anyway, i always wanted to find out how long it should take for a mass in this experiment to gravitate towards the other. The problem is it isn't like doing it on earth where at the surface everything accelerates at 9.8m/s. The only relevant equation for acceleration in this case would be
    m=mass in grams
    r=distance in cm
    I just learned a LITTLE calculus but so far i can only calculate how long it will take for an dropped object to hit the ground. I was hoping i could use this but since the acceleration is always changing i don't know how to do this out. Can someone help??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Hi hover,

Really? Where you expecting them to repel each other :biggrin:

So you want to complicate things more with non constant acceleration I see. I dont know the extent of your calculus knowledge, but this involves integrating the acceleration function.

I recommend for situations like this, you should use constant acceleration and find the time like you would normally.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?