Time of oscillation of a pendulum

In summary: You need to find the moment of inertia around the pivot point (the vertex of the V shape), so it's just the sum of the moments of inertia of the two arms, each of length L/2, around their respective centers of mass (which are at L/4 from the pivot point). So it's just ##I = \frac{M(L/4)^2}{3} + \frac{M(L/4)^2}{3} = \frac{M(L/4)^2}{3}##. Then follow the same steps as before to find the period.In summary, the period of oscillation for a V-shaped rigid pole with each leg of length L and an angle of 120 degrees
diredragon

Homework Statement

A rigib poll of length 2L is made into a V shape so that each leg has length L. What is the period of oscillation for small angle. The angle between the legs is 120 degrees

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I tried to calculate the period by imagining a rigid poll that would take the originals place. Since the length of one leg is L, the poll which would take the place is located in the middle and of length ##L/2## since its 30,60,90 triangle, Moment of inertia is ##I=\frac{M(L/2)^2}{3}## and that nakes the period ##T=6.28*\sqrt{\frac{I}{Mg(L/2)}}## and that just doesn't seem right? What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to calculate the moment of inertia I of the V shape body around the point at the vertex of V (which I suppose is the pivot point). I believe it will be ##I=2M\frac{L^2}{3}##.Also you need to find the center of mass of the V shape body. I believe it will be at distance ##R=\frac{L}{4}## from the pivot point. Then the period will be

##T=2\pi\sqrt\frac{I}{MgR}## where R is the distance of the center of mass from the pivot point (the vertex of V).

Delta² said:
You have to calculate the moment of inertia I of the V shape body around the point at the vertex of V (which I suppose is the pivot point). I believe it will be ##I=2M\frac{L^2}{3}##.Also you need to find the center of mass of the V shape body. I believe it will be at distance ##R=\frac{L}{4}## from the pivot point. Then the period will be

##T=2\pi\sqrt\frac{I}{MgR}## where R is the distance of the center of mass from the pivot point (the vertex of V).
That's rather too much assistance straight up. Better would have been to leave it as
"You have to calculate the moment of inertia I of the V shape body around the point at the vertex of V (which I suppose is the pivot point).. Also you need to find the center of mass of the V shape body. "

Anyway, your expression for I is wrong.

Likes diredragon
haruspex said:
That's rather too much assistance straight up. Better would have been to leave it as
"You have to calculate the moment of inertia I of the V shape body around the point at the vertex of V (which I suppose is the pivot point).. Also you need to find the center of mass of the V shape body. "

Anyway, your expression for I is wrong.

Sorry where I am wrong, the body is originally 2L and each V side has L length. Moment of intertia is aroung the peak of V not around the c.o.m.

Ok I see now the factor of 2 should be omitted.

Last edited:
Delta² said:
Ok I see now the factor of 2 should be omitted
Right.

FAQ: Time of oscillation of a pendulum

1. What is the formula for calculating the time of oscillation of a pendulum?

The formula for the time of oscillation of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T represents time, L represents the length of the pendulum, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Does the mass of the pendulum affect the time of oscillation?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect the time of oscillation. The only factors that affect the time of oscillation are the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does changing the length of the pendulum affect the time of oscillation?

The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer the time of oscillation will be. Similarly, a shorter length will result in a shorter time of oscillation. This relationship is due to the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where L is directly proportional to the time of oscillation.

4. Why is the time of oscillation of a pendulum constant on Earth?

The time of oscillation of a pendulum is constant on Earth because the acceleration due to gravity remains constant at any given location on Earth. This means that the formula T = 2π√(L/g) will always give the same result for the time of oscillation, regardless of the location on Earth.

5. Can the time of oscillation of a pendulum be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance, friction, and the amplitude of the pendulum swing can affect the time of oscillation. However, these factors are usually negligible and the time of oscillation can still be accurately calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g).