How does the velocity of a ball change without buoyant force acting on it?

In summary: Is this for the motion going up or going down? Please write the differential equation in the form$$m\frac{dv}{dt}=\dots$$Also,when I tried integrating this thing I am ending up with a different answeris not very informative. What did you try? What answer did you get? You say your answer is different, different from what? You must show your work to receive help. Ideally, you should try to use LaTeX. Click on "LaTeX Guide" over "Attach Files" (left side of screen near bottom) to learn more.
PSN03
Homework Statement
A small spherical ball (obeying stokes law for viscous force) is thrown up vertically with a speed of 20m/s and reaches back to the observer with a speed of 10m/s. Neglecting the buoyant force on the ball, assuming that the ball never attains it's terminal velocity during the flight, find the time of flight of the ball.
Relevant Equations
Weight of block=mg
Acceleration of the block=ma
So my doubt is at the beginning of the problems hey are saying that the ball obeys stokes law and on the latter part of the question they are saying that no buoyant force is acting then how does the velocity of the ball change in the end?
Also what is the use of specifying 'the ball never attains it's terminal velocity'? What will happen if it does and will the question change?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Stokes' law say? Start from there, write the equation of motion and see if you can solve it. The buoyant force is neglected to make the solution simpler. The significance of it is good to know that the ball never attains its terminal velocity will become apparent when you solve for the time required to go up.

Likes PSN03
kuruman said:
What does Stokes' law say? Start from there, write the equation of motion and see if you can solve it. The buoyant force is neglected to make the solution simpler. The significance of it is good to know that the ball never attains its terminal velocity will become apparent when you solve for the time required to go up.
Lemme try it then...I guess I need some time😅

I would find an expression for the terminal velocity and substitute that in the equations of motion. It simplifies the algebra.

kuruman said:
Ohk so I got this
F=6πnrv
F=weight of ball- buoyant force
Buoyant force=0 ,
Hence
6πnrv=weight of ball
=Mg
Is this correct?

Is the ball accelerating when it is thrown straight up? If so, what is its acceleration? What about the acceleration when the ball is on its way down?

kuruman said:
Is the ball accelerating when it is thrown straight up? If so, what is its acceleration? What about the acceleration when the ball is on its way down?
So should I write force as F=ma for upward motion of the body instead of equating it to F=6πnrv?

Yes. Repeat for downward motion because the viscous force changes direction.

kuruman said:
Yes. Repeat for downward motion because the viscous force changes direction.
Ohk so the new equation would be
F=weight of body
Ma=Mg

Now my doubt is the RHS side will always be constant, hence the acceleration on the LHS side will also be constant. If everything is constant then what is causing the change in velocity

What happened to the viscous force in the RHS?

kuruman said:
What happened to the viscous force in the RHS?
It became zero cause it's given there's no buoyant force.

PSN03 said:
Ohk so the new equation would be
F=weight of body
Ma=Mg

Now my doubt is the RHS side will always be constant, hence the acceleration on the LHS side will also be constant. If everything is constant then what is causing the change in velocity
Aren't we just equating the sum of all force to M*a. Where are we even using the stokes law?

You are confusing the viscous force which, opposes the motion of an object through a fluid and obeys Stokes' law with the buoyant force which provides a constant force against gravity and obeys Archimedes's principle. Stokes' law allows you to find an expression for the viscous force. I suggest that you look up Stokes' law and viscosity to set your mind straight before proceeding.

Likes PSN03
kuruman said:
You are confusing the viscous force which, opposes the motion of an object through a fluid and obeys Stokes' law with the buoyant force which provides a constant force against gravity and obeys Archimedes's principle. Stokes' law allows you to find an expression for the viscous force. I suggest that you look up Stokes' law and viscosity to set your mind straight before proceeding.
I am really sorry...I misunderstood things
So what I have understood now
Weight- drag force=net force
mg-6πnrv=ma

Now a=dv/dt
mg-kv=mdv/dt Where k=6πnrv
Now when I tried integrating this thing I am ending up with a different answer.
What do to now

Is this for the motion going up or going down? Please write the differential equation in the form
$$m\frac{dv}{dt}=\dots$$
Also,
PSN03 said:
when I tried integrating this thing I am ending up with a different answer
is not very informative. What did you try? What answer did you get? You say your answer is different, different from what? You must show your work to receive help. Ideally, you should try to use LaTeX. Click on "LaTeX Guide" over "Attach Files" (left side of screen near bottom) to learn how.

Likes PSN03
kuruman said:
Is this for the motion going up or going down? Please write the differential equation in the form
$$m\frac{dv}{dt}=\dots$$
Also,

is not very informative. What did you try? What answer did you get? You say your answer is different, different from what? You must show your work to receive help. Ideally, you should try to use LaTeX. Click on "LaTeX Guide" over "Attach Files" (left side of screen near bottom) to learn how.
My attempt:
-(mg +kv)=m dv/dt (considering upward direction as positive)
-(mg dt + kv dt)=mdv
Integrating the above terms : integrating t from 0 to T and v from U to V where
T is toal time of flight
V=final velocity
U=initial velocity

mg*T+ (integral of viscous force term)=m(V-U)
Now I was wondering if I can write v as dx/dt to get kdx and it's interal would be zero for the whole journey. Am I right in doing this? Cause my final answer is now coming right.

PSN03 said:
-(mg +kv)=m dv/dt (considering upward direction as positive)
This is the equation for the "going up" part of the motion. There is a separate equation for the "going down" part of the motion because the viscous force changes direction relative to the acceleration of gravity. You need to write two separate equations and do two separate integration. I strongly suggest that you define as positive the direction of motion in each case otherwise you will most likely get into trouble with signs. Then "v" stands for "speed" not velocity which is good because then the viscous force will always be "-kv".

Likes PSN03
kuruman said:
This is the equation for the "going up" part of the motion. There is a separate equation for the "going down" part of the motion because the viscous force changes direction relative to the acceleration of gravity. You need to write two separate equations and do two separate integration. I strongly suggest that you define as positive the direction of motion in each case otherwise you will most likely get into trouble with signs. Then "v" stands for "speed" not velocity which is good because then the viscous force will always be "-kv".
I think the problem is solved now. I can do after this I think. Thanks for all your help. Good day😊

Likes kuruman

1. How does the velocity of a ball change without buoyant force acting on it?

The velocity of a ball changes without buoyant force acting on it due to the force of gravity. As the ball falls, it accelerates towards the ground, increasing its velocity. This change in velocity is due to the absence of an upward buoyant force counteracting the force of gravity.

2. Does the mass of the ball affect its velocity without buoyant force?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect its velocity without buoyant force. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to its mass. Therefore, a heavier ball will have a greater acceleration and thus a higher velocity when falling without buoyant force.

3. How does air resistance impact the change in velocity of a ball without buoyant force?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the change in velocity of a ball without buoyant force. As the ball falls, it encounters air molecules that create a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can decrease the ball's acceleration and thus its change in velocity.

4. Can the shape of the ball affect its velocity without buoyant force?

Yes, the shape of the ball can affect its velocity without buoyant force. A more streamlined shape, such as a sphere, will experience less air resistance and thus have a greater acceleration and change in velocity compared to a less streamlined shape, such as a cube.

5. How does the height from which the ball is dropped impact its velocity without buoyant force?

The height from which the ball is dropped does not directly impact its velocity without buoyant force. However, a higher starting point will result in a longer distance for the ball to fall, allowing it to reach a higher velocity before hitting the ground. This is due to the increased time for acceleration to occur without the counteracting force of buoyancy.