Time taken to reach the water's surface

In summary, a thin spherical shell filled with helium and released from rest at the bottom of a pool of water with a depth of 3.77 m accelerates at a rate of 7.91 m/s^2. To determine the time it takes for the top of the shell to reach the water's surface, the equation \Delta d= V_i*t+0.5at^2 is used, where \Delta d is the distance traveled, V_i is the initial velocity (which is 0 m/s in this case), a is the acceleration, and t is the time. However, the solution obtained may be incorrect if the direction of motion is not carefully considered.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

A thin spherical shell with a mass of 3.30 kg and a diameter of 0.225 m is filled with helium (density = 0.180 kg/m3). It is then released from rest on the bottom of a pool of water that is 3.77 m deep. Neglecting frictional effects, determine the value of that acceleration.
Correct, computer gets: 7.91E+00 m/s^2

How long does it take for the top of the shell to reach the water's surface?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know that to reach the top of the container it would travel 3.77 m and that vinitial = 0m/s and we know that acceleration is 7.91m/s^2 so i used the equation

[tex]\Delta[/tex]d= Vi*t+0.5at2
-3.77m=0+0.5(7.91)t2
and when i solve this i get a negative under the root which i know isn't right..pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
In doing this problem, you've implicitly defined the "up" direction as being positive. So why is your delta d negative?

even if i put my delta d as positive i still get the wrong answer

What factors affect the time taken to reach the water's surface?

The time taken to reach the water's surface can be affected by several factors such as the initial height from which the object is dropped, air resistance, and the density of the object. Additionally, the shape and surface area of the object can also play a role in the time taken to reach the water's surface.

How does air resistance affect the time taken to reach the water's surface?

Air resistance can significantly impact the time taken to reach the water's surface. Objects with a larger surface area or more streamlined shape will experience greater air resistance, which will slow down their descent and increase the time taken to reach the water's surface.

Why does the initial height affect the time taken to reach the water's surface?

The initial height from which an object is dropped directly affects the time taken to reach the water's surface. Objects that are dropped from higher heights have more time to accelerate due to gravity, resulting in a shorter time to reach the water's surface.

How does the density of the object affect the time taken to reach the water's surface?

The density of an object can affect the time taken to reach the water's surface, as denser objects have more mass and therefore experience greater gravitational force. This results in a faster descent and a shorter time to reach the water's surface.

Can the time taken to reach the water's surface be calculated?

Yes, the time taken to reach the water's surface can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the initial height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). However, this equation assumes that there is no air resistance or other external factors affecting the object's descent.