1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time taken to reach the water's surface

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin spherical shell with a mass of 3.30 kg and a diameter of 0.225 m is filled with helium (density = 0.180 kg/m3). It is then released from rest on the bottom of a pool of water that is 3.77 m deep. Neglecting frictional effects, determine the value of that acceleration.
    Correct, computer gets: 7.91E+00 m/s^2

How long does it take for the top of the shell to reach the water's surface?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so i know that to reach the top of the container it would travel 3.77 m and that vinitial = 0m/s and we know that acceleration is 7.91m/s^2 so i used the equation

[tex]\Delta[/tex]d= Vi*t+0.5at2
    -3.77m=0+0.5(7.91)t2
    and when i solve this i get a negative under the root which i know isnt right..pls help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In doing this problem, you've implicitly defined the "up" direction as being positive. So why is your delta d negative?

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    even if i put my delta d as positive i still get the wrong answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook