Time to rotate system 20 degrees

In summary, the problem involves a system where the load needs to be moved by 20 degrees and brought to rest. The load has a triangular speed profile with equal acceleration and deceleration rates, and a coupling efficiency of 100%. The maximum torque available from the motor is 500 Nm. The system parameters include the gear ratio nL/nM, the moment of inertia JL, and the time needed to rotate the load by 20 degrees. The equations involved include the torque equation and the relationship between the motor and load speeds. The solution involves setting the electromagnetic torque to 500 and solving for the time needed to rotate the load by 20 degrees, taking into account the gear ratio and moment of inertia.
D.B0004

Homework Statement

In the system of Problem 2-6, we need move the load by 20 degrees and bring the system to rest. Assuming a triangular speed profile of the load with equal acceleration and deceleration rates (starting and ending at zero speed). Assume a coupling efficiency of 100%. The magnitude of the electromagnetic torque (positive or negative) available from the motor is 500 Nm.

nL/nM= 3
JL = 8.3 kg*m2
JM = 1.4 kg*m2

What is the time (in seconds) needed to rotate the load by an angle of 20o? Give the correct answer to 3 or more decimal places.

Homework Equations

T(em) = [Jm + (Wl/Wm)^2 * Jl]*dw/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I see a dt in there so I think this is my hint. I know I can set T(em) to 500. Jm is given, and I believe W (omega) of load is 3 times smaller than the motor, w/w would be (1/3)^2. But dw/dt is constant due to the triangle torque constraint isn't it? Cant integrate that right? Could someone explain how I am thinking of this wrong with a push in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the system of Problem 2-6,...
Where is problem 2.6 and what is the system it proposes?

Simon Bridge said:
Where is problem 2.6 and what is the system it proposes?
Im sorry. I completely forgot to add those! See file attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 4.14.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 4.14.20 PM.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 454
D.B0004 said:
Im sorry. I completely forgot to add those! See file attached.
Wow and now I posted the WRONG PICTURE. Thought I only had one screen shot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 7.10.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 7.10.24 PM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 457
This problem probably shouldn't be in the introductory section...but hey maybe someone will get it.

Here are equations listed below the figure.

Attachments

• equations.png
    equations.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 442
D.B0004 said:
I believe W (omega) of load is 3 times smaller than the motor
In the time the motor rotates once, how often does the load rotate?
D.B0004 said:
dw/dt is constant
It's constant during each of the two phases, acceleration and deceleration.
D.B0004 said:
Cant integrate that right?
Constants are the easiest of all to integrate.

Related to Time to rotate system 20 degrees

1. What is the purpose of rotating a system 20 degrees?

Rotating a system 20 degrees can have several purposes. It can help align the system with other systems or objects, improve the stability or performance of the system, or allow for better access or viewing of specific components.

2. How is the rotation of a system 20 degrees measured?

The rotation of a system 20 degrees is typically measured using a protractor or other angle measuring tool. The system can also be rotated using specific instructions or commands in a computer program.

3. What factors should be considered before rotating a system 20 degrees?

Several factors should be considered before rotating a system 20 degrees, such as the current orientation of the system, the impact on other systems or objects, and the potential consequences on the overall functioning of the system.

4. Is there a specific direction in which a system should be rotated 20 degrees?

The direction in which a system should be rotated 20 degrees depends on the desired outcome and the specific orientation of the system. It is important to carefully consider the direction of rotation to ensure the desired results are achieved.

5. Can a system be rotated more or less than 20 degrees?

Yes, a system can be rotated more or less than 20 degrees. The amount of rotation needed depends on the specific circumstances and goals of the rotation. However, it is important to carefully consider the amount of rotation to avoid potential negative consequences on the system.