1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips for searching volunteer jobs in the research lab?

1. Jun 24, 2013 #1
    Hi all

If I want to volunteer in the research lab in the summer, how should I contact the professor to inquiry about this opportunities? I am an undergraduate electrical students, and I am interested in the the signal processing and data communication. However, I don't have any related background in this field nor did I take any relevant courses. Do you guys have any tips in getting the job like this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why should the professor hire you? Once you figure that out, you should tell him.

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not too common for professors to hire or take on as volunteers, students who have yet to take at least an introductory course in their field, although it does happen.

The best way that I know of to find these kinds of opportunities is to go and talk with professors. Tell them what you're interested in and ask if there is anyone looking for some extra help. Also talk with senior undergraduates and graduate students. Not only will you learn about available opportunities, but you'll also learn about particular people or projects to avoid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook