Did I Calculate the Correct Angle for TIR in a Glass Prism?

• Thread starter Alain12345
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a question regarding total internal reflection in a glass prism. The necessary angles were determined and it was calculated that the ray exits the prism at 30 degrees. However, there was a mistake in the diagram as the 62 degree angle should be between the normal and the ray. The critical angle was not needed in the calculations and it was concluded that total internal reflection occurs when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle.
Alain12345
I completed a question about TIR in a glass prism, and I was wondering if someone can tell me if I got it right. Thanks

"Less" and "more" refer to the less dense medium and more dense medium, and the red line is the normal.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7061/tirquestion0mi.png

Question: Determine all the necessary angles and then calculate at which angle the ray exits the prism. n= 1.44

Calculations:

n= sin less/sin more
1.44= sin 62/sin more
sin 62/1.44= sin more
angle more= 38

n= sin less/sin more
1.44= sin less/ sin 60
angle less= N/A

therefore, sin C= 1/n
sin C= 1/1.44
= 0.6944
Critical angle= 44

angle more is greater than critical angle, therefore TIR occurs

n= sin less/sin more
1.44= sin less/ sin 20
angle less= 30

The ray exits the prism at 30 degrees.

EDIT: I put the 62 in the wrong place, I meant it to be in between the normal and ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle that is used in Snell's Law : sin(theta)
is the angle measured from the NORMAL line to the RAY.
The 62 degree angle, according to your diagram,
is measured from the SURFACE to the ray.

I'm sorry, I put the 62 in the wrong place when I was makign the diagram. It should be between the normal and the ray

Then your work is Okay.
You don't really need to compute the critical angle (paragraph 3)
... if the sin(less) is supposed to be greater than 1,
then that "less" angle does not exist, and Tot.Internal Reflection occurs.

So 30 degrees is okay for my final answer? Thanks a lot! :smile:

1. What is TIR?

TIR stands for Total Internal Reflection. It is a phenomenon that occurs when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium, and is completely reflected at the boundary between the two mediums.

2. How does TIR work?

TIR works because of the difference in density between the two mediums. When light travels from a dense medium to a less dense medium, it slows down and bends away from the normal line. If the angle of incidence is large enough, the light will be completely reflected back into the denser medium.

3. What are some real-life applications of TIR?

TIR is used in a variety of technologies, including fiber optic cables, endoscopes, and optical fibers used in medical imaging. It is also used in the design of reflective road signs and traffic lights for increased visibility at night.

4. What is the critical angle of TIR?

The critical angle of TIR is the angle of incidence at which light will be completely reflected at the boundary between the two mediums. It is dependent on the refractive indices of the two mediums and can be calculated using Snell's law.

5. Can TIR occur in any two mediums?

No, TIR can only occur when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium. The difference in refractive indices between the two mediums must also be large enough to create a critical angle for TIR to occur.