Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To little time to find them

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone. I'm not going to waste anybodys time with a long story why and what for but the thing is that I'm doing my little project and I'm very limited on time so maybe one of you guys could help me out telling me if there is (somewhere on the web :) list of ALL primes from 2 to 2^34. Of course I could do it myself but .... time is an issue. If there is a website where I can find those primes that would be very appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Mar 19, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Obtain GAP, it's free, ask it to print out the primes. Use GMP/PARI (also free, I think). It precomputes all primes up to 2^30 on loading. A simple C program can also be written. Python is possibly better.

5. Mar 19, 2007 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's an awful lot of primes you're asking for -- 762,939,111 according to Sloane. If you find the whole thing online won't downloading it take fairly substantial time? If the primes average 10 bits (9 bits + a space) or so, you're talking about 7-8 gigabytes plain text. Of course there are many ways to compress this, but surely writing a parser is comparable in effort to just writing a program to generate them?

Plus, at 56kbps with 30% packet loss, that would take 5-6 hours to download. (It would take < 10 minutes on a T1 if you were the only user.)

6. Mar 20, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Google- GAP

I get some fashion stores..>.<

7. Mar 21, 2007 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try "Groups, Algorithms and Programming".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?