To stir the pot Post inflationary period

• Thread starter spark802
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, there are several models that explain how the early universe expanded. Ordinary radiation and non-relativistic matter lead to an expanding universe, and there was no "outside the expansion". Some models use a false vacuum to create a true vacuum, while other models use a similar methodology called runaway inflation. Slow roll inflation, chaotic inflation, and natural inflation are all good fits to observational evidence. The slow roll approximation is often used as a comparison model, and other historical inflation problems include the flatness problem, horizon problem, monopole problem, and hill inflation.
spark802
My question is what sort of material/matter existed to allow an expansion of the early universe?

It had to be some sort of vacuum state...and it had to be lower/negative values outside of the expansion?

Space news on Phys.org
Nope. Ordinary radiation and non-relativistic matter lead to an expanding universe.

There was no "outside the expansion". You might want to familiarize yourself with how to understand the expanding universe: the balloon analogy might help: http://www.phinds.com/balloonanalogy/

To expand on this,

All models that describe a possible mechanism that caused the inflationary era (specifically) are from effects within our own universe. The original inflationary mechanism commonly called false vacuum by A.Guth involves a false vacuum to a true vacuum with virtual particle production. Many later models use a similar methodology. False vacuum is your minimal vacuum state, true vacuum the state its now in. Google false vacuum for more detail.

Thanks for the info, from both members. I will look into both links.

That's a killer line regarding the deodorant...

Dave

Lol yeah I laughed my head off the first time I saw that line.

The false vacuum model is niw commonly referrred to as old inflation. It had several problems pointed out by Guth himself. You have to give him credit its rare to see the inventor of a model point out its own problems.
The probkem he pointed out is called runaway inflation. There was no mechanism to stop it. Later models provided a vareity of mechanisms. So I will pointed out a few key ones.
Although in some of the good fit models they take adviantage of the runaway.

Slow roll inflation.
Chaotic inflation
chaotic eternal inflation
natural inflation
hill inflation.

The above is a short list compared to the number of models. However they are all considered good fits to observationsal evidence.

The slow roll approximation is often used a a comparision model. So its of particular interest.
Other historical inflation problems include the following.

Flatness problem
horizon problem
monopole problem

Later inflationary models provide solutions to these problems. I mention them as you will encounter them in your studies

Forgot to mention you will come across the term inflaton field. Some models use this. Sone however don't. The Higgs field is also in some models such as false vacuum and later models.
I have a technical review paper if your interested but its pretty advanced.

Mordred said:

Flatness problem
horizon problem
monopole problem

Later inflationary models provide solutions to these problems. I mention them as you will encounter them in your studies
All successful inflation models -- not just later ones -- should provide solutions to these problems (it's what makes them successful). As you mention, Guth's original "old inflation" is perhaps the one exception -- it failed to solve them due the failure of nucleated bubbles of true vacuum to coalesce efficiently and delicately enough. But other "older" models are successful, like Linde's "new" inflation and chaotic polynomial inflation.

bapowell said:
Nope. Ordinary radiation and non-relativistic matter lead to an expanding universe.

There was no "outside the expansion". You might want to familiarize yourself with how to understand the expanding universe: the balloon analogy might help: http://www.phinds.com/balloonanalogy/

I've sort of had a grasp on the balloon model, some one told me think of painting dark spots on a half inflated balloon and watch the spots increase distance from one another as you inflate the balloon more.

I like any simple sort of analogy along those lines...

Mordred said:
Lol yeah I laughed my head off the first time I saw that line.

The false vacuum model is niw commonly referrred to as old inflation. It had several problems pointed out by Guth himself. You have to give him credit its rare to see the inventor of a model point out its own problems.
The probkem he pointed out is called runaway inflation. There was no mechanism to stop it. Later models provided a vareity of mechanisms. So I will pointed out a few key ones.
Although in some of the good fit models they take adviantage of the runaway.

Slow roll inflation.
Chaotic inflation
chaotic eternal inflation
natural inflation
hill inflation.

The above is a short list compared to the number of models. However they are all considered good fits to observationsal evidence.

The slow roll approximation is often used a a comparision model. So its of particular interest.

Flatness problem
horizon problem
monopole problem

Thank you again, I will look into these as well...

1. What is the "To stir the pot Post inflationary period" theory?

The "To stir the pot Post inflationary period" theory is a concept in cosmology that suggests a period of rapid expansion, known as inflation, occurred in the early universe. This was followed by a slower expansion period where the universe continued to expand, but at a slower rate.

2. What evidence supports the "To stir the pot Post inflationary period" theory?

Scientists have found evidence for inflation through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang. This radiation shows patterns and fluctuations that support the idea of a rapid expansion in the early universe.

3. How does the "To stir the pot Post inflationary period" theory explain the structure of the universe?

The theory suggests that the rapid expansion during inflation stretched small quantum fluctuations into larger scales, which eventually became the seeds for the formation of galaxies and other structures in the universe.

4. Are there any alternative theories to the "To stir the pot Post inflationary period" theory?

Yes, there are alternative theories that propose different mechanisms for the expansion of the universe. Some of these include the cyclic model, which suggests a repeating series of expansions and contractions, and the steady-state theory, which proposes that the universe has always existed and is continuously expanding.

5. How does the "To stir the pot Post inflationary period" theory impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory has greatly expanded our understanding of the early universe and its evolution. It also helps to explain the large-scale structure of the universe and provides insights into the origins of galaxies and other structures. However, it is still an area of active research and there is much more to be discovered and understood about the universe.