To turn 50g of boiling water to steam requires

In summary, the conversation was about questions related to energy and heat in science. The participants discussed the amount of energy needed to turn boiling water into steam, the best way to keep warm in cold weather, and the possibility of converting energy into mechanical energy. They also talked about the energy absorption and emission of different materials and the amount of energy converted to heat by light bulbs. Finally, they discussed the danger of steam burns compared to burns caused by boiling water and expressed their frustration with the subject.
cookies
Please someone help me with my homework :D i have tried and tried but i just suck at science

1. To turn 50g of boiling water to steam requires
A. 50 Calories (210 Joules)
B. 500 Calories (2100 Joules)
C. 540 Calories (2270 Joules)

2. If you were caught freezing in cold weather with only a candel for heat, you would be warmer in
A. an igloo
B. a car
C. a tent
D. a wooden house

3. It is possible to totally convert a given amount of energy into mechanical energy.
A. True
B. False

4. When a solid is changed to a liquid phase, the solid
A. absorb energy
B. release energy
C. neither

5. When work is done by a system and no heat added to it, the temperature of the system
A. Decrease
B. Increase
C. Remains unchanged

6. An inventor discovers a harmless and tasteless salt, which, when added to water changes its boiling point, the market value for this salt will be best if the salt
A. lower the boiling point of water
B. raises the boiling point of water
C. either raises or lowers the boiling point, as the food would be cooked either way.

7. A good asorber of radiation is a
A. good reflector
B. good emitter of radiation
C. poor emitter of radiation

8. The amount of energy ultimately converted to heat by light bulbs is about
A. 30%
B. 60%
C. 15%
D. 45%
E. 100%

9. Steam burns are more dangerous than burns caused by boiling water becuase steam
A. Gives the additional energy when it condenses
B. Has more energy per kilogram than boiling water
C. Both of these
D. neither of these

i think number 2 is A
Number 4 is A
and number 9 is C

i am clueless about the rest :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cookies said:
Please someone help me with my homework :D i have tried and tried but i just suck at science
1. To turn 50g of boiling water to steam requires
A. 50 Calories (210 Joules)
B. 500 Calories (2100 Joules)
C. 540 Calories (2270 Joules)

9. Steam burns are more dangerous than burns caused by boiling water becuase steam
A. Gives the additional energy when it condenses
B. Has more energy per kilogram than boiling water
C. Both of these
D. neither of thesei think number 2 is A
Number 4 is A
and number 9 is C

i am clueless about the rest :P
This forum provides help, not answers. You must show a reasonable attempt at solving these questions. No one is going to just give you 9 answers.

i have tried books i can't stand it lol

what course is this ?

phsical science :P

1.a
2.a
3.a
4.b
5.c
6.b
7.b
8.e
9.c

please tell me wat i got rong and rite ty

cookies said:
1.a
2.a
3.a
4.b
5.c
6.b
7.b
8.e
9.c please tell me wat i got rong and rite ty
No one is here to check your answers. If you want help with a question, show what you've tried and where you're struggling.

If you want to know the answers to these questions, ask your teacher (who is paid to help you).

1. How much energy is required to turn 50g of boiling water to steam?

The amount of energy required to turn 50g of boiling water to steam can be calculated using the specific heat capacity and latent heat of vaporization of water. The specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 J/g°C and the latent heat of vaporization is 2260 J/g. Therefore, the total energy required is 50g x 4.18 J/g°C x (100°C - 0°C) + 50g x 2260 J/g = 209,000 J.

2. Can the energy required to turn water to steam be reduced?

Yes, the energy required to turn water to steam can be reduced by increasing the temperature of the water or decreasing the pressure. This can be achieved through techniques such as using a higher heat source or using a vacuum chamber.

3. How does the energy required to turn water to steam compare to other substances?

The energy required to turn water to steam is relatively high compared to other substances. This is due to its high specific heat capacity and latent heat of vaporization, which means it requires more energy to raise its temperature and change its state compared to other substances with lower values for these properties.

4. What factors affect the energy required to turn water to steam?

The energy required to turn water to steam is primarily affected by the temperature and pressure of the water. Other factors that can influence the energy required include the presence of impurities in the water, the heating source used, and the efficiency of the heating process.

5. How long does it take for 50g of boiling water to turn into steam?

The time it takes for 50g of boiling water to turn into steam depends on various factors such as the heat source, the size of the container, and the surrounding temperature. However, on average, it takes approximately 6 minutes to turn 50g of boiling water into steam using a standard stove burner at maximum heat.