Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #3,046
berkeman said:
Well, the warped humor at medic trainings sometimes involves the song "Another One Bites the Dust", but I don't recommend it. I use "Stayin' Alive" myself when I'm checking my rhythm and don't have another medic checking it for me (team CPR).

Those two songs are the ones we were taught to use in our First Aid training.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,048
fresh_42 said:
I don't think I would have scruple in case of emergency. Except in the US. There I would run away instead of risking being sued afterwards (according to my personal risk aversion function). Here it is a crime doing nothing. The legal status in the US bears far too many unknowns to risk anything apart from calling 911.
The legal status of first aid in the US is much better than in various less developed countries.

• #3,049
Likes Adesh
  • #3,050
mfb said:
The legal status of first aid in the US is much better than in various less developed countries.
Maybe. But I do not trust it, for various reasons. So why take a risk? Better to stay out of any trouble. The protection from being possibly sued, i.e. in a civilian process, not by the state attorney, is simply not given to the scale I personally would expect in order to take action. This is a subjective and personal assessment built from countless news stories, such as this guy suing the NFL for their halftime show. I don't care if this came to court or not, I just want to stay away from such things.

You can object that this is a possibility in any country governed by law, but a) the number of people who would even consider this here is significantly smaller if not zero, and b) it would never come even close to a court.

• #3,051
today i learned not to visit a university library after you finish your courses in that university

• #3,052
hagopbul said:
today i learned not to visit a university library after you finish your courses in that university
How come? Brings back too many memories? They won't let you in without an active student badge? You still have overdue books checked out?

Likes hagopbul
  • #3,053
hagopbul said:
Unimaginable! Many years ago, I learned the opposite.

Likes hmmm27 and berkeman
  • #3,054
symbolipoint said:
hagopbul said:
Unimaginable! Many years ago, I learned the opposite.
#MeToo. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Adesh and Klystron
  • #3,055
hagopbul said:
Having not gone to university, the lesson here entirely escapes me.

• #3,056
My favorite study area was a carrel up on the library reference floors, quiet with little traffic. Only needed to show student ID card to borrow books and use computers IIRC. The university installed RFID on materials and alarms at exits to reduce theft; now common security devices at most libraries.

Last edited:
  • #3,057
  • Haha
Likes strangerep, OmCheeto and Klystron
  • #3,058
Klystron said:
My favorite study area was a carrel ...

Today I learned that those quiet little cubicles in the old Physics library, and in Fisher Library stack, where I used to love spending endless amounts of time, had a specific name. :oldsmile:

They infuse a feeling hard to describe... and often there's lots of other intellectually oriented people nearby, mostly head-down tail-up,...

• #3,059
Today I learned that Cliff Booth (I’m talking about the movie Once Upon A Time in Hollywood) was a fictional character.
Actually, yesterday I saw the movie and really admired Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) too much, he seemed to me a man who doesn’t care about life anymore all he wanted a square meal and almost no recognition. But today...

• #3,060
strangerep said:
Today I learned that those quiet little cubicles in the old Physics library, and in Fisher Library stack, where I used to love spending endless amounts of time, had a specific name. :oldsmile:

They infuse a feeling hard to describe... and often there's lots of other intellectually oriented people nearby, mostly head-down tail-up,...
Naughty, subversive, anti-intellectual but great poetry with the memorable line

"Hanging like bats in a world of inverted values"

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=m2m_tGGUi5IC&pg=PT140&lpg=PT140&dq=hanging+like+bats+world+of+inverted+values&source=bl&ots=bBcblC03M1&sig=ACfU3U3liDp93CwsWzuydu8nAoelm8r87A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz7vvBt93nAhU1t3EKHfAFA3IQ6AEwDHoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=hanging like bats world of inverted values&f=false

But Hey!
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-joy-of-reading-15-7-22-7.761845/post-4801572

There went I!

(Not the BL but almost as venerable.)

Last edited:
  • #3,061
epenguin said:
...that it was called "Gateway to the South"...
I thought that was Balham? :biggrin:

Likes epenguin
  • #3,062
pbuk said:
I thought that was Balham? :biggrin:
I abstained from saying so as I thought few people here would get it. :oldsmile:

• #3,063
berkeman said:
How come? Brings back too many memories? They won't let you in without an active student badge? You still have overdue books checked out?
yes they didnt

• #3,064
today i learned helping is good in general

• Wow
Likes Adesh
  • #3,065
Today I learned about John Michell.

Have you ever heard of this scientist earlier? Probably not !
John Michell (25 December 1724 - 21 April 1793) was English natural philosopher and clergyman who provided pioneering insights in a wide range of scientific fields, including astronomy, Geology, Optics and gravitation. Considered 'one of the greatest unsung scientists of all time'. The American Physical Society (APS) has described Michell as being "so far ahead of his scientific contemporaries that his ideas languished in obscurity until they were re-invented more than a century later". The APS states that while "he was one of the most brilliant and original scientists of his time, Michell remains virtually unknown today".
Newton in 1665 discovered that everything possesses gravity, it is the force by which a body pulls everything inwards, towards itself. Michell combined the notion of gravity that it pulls everything inwards by Newton and the notion of speed of light being finite by Ole Rømer, he said that if a star has mass which is a lot, lot more than the sun then the light which it is emitting would be pulled in on itself because of gravity, he concluded that maybe the most massive objects of this universe are invisible and this formed the base of modern-day black hole theories. He is the father of seismology and father of Magnetometry. He was the first to explain how to manufacture artificial magnets. He applied statistics to study cosmos, he told double stars were a product of mutual gravity. He also invented a apparatus to measure the mass of Earth. Imagine what if this great scientist never existed, would have we known these secrets of our cosmos. He is an unsung great scientist, today his contributions in astronomy, Geology, Optics, and gravitation form the base of modern-science, yet we don't know about this famous scientists.

A grand salute to you Mr. John Michell.

• #3,066
Turns out Mr. Michell is a trickster, and the truth is much more mundane. Mr. John Michell didn't discover any of those things. All he did was invent the world's only time machine.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #3,067
DaveC426913 said:
Turns out Mr. Michell is a trickster, and the truth is much more mundane. Mr. John Michell didn't discover any of those things. All he did was invent the world's only time machine.
Time machine?

• #3,068
Adesh said:
Time machine?
A joke.
He went into the future and stole all those ideas.
The irony, of course, being that inventing a time machine would be way a more impressive feat - not mundane at all.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
  • #3,069
DaveC426913 said:
A joke.
He went into the future and stole all those ideas.
The irony, of course, being that inventing a time machine would be way a more impressive feat - not mundane at all.
It was a very very complicated joke, Ah! But after all joke is a joke :)

• #3,070
A true trickster would never invent the time machine. They would steal it from the person who did.
Adesh said:
Imagine what if this great scientist never existed, would have we known these secrets of our cosmos.
Yes, just a bit later.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #3,071
Today I learned not to buy too much lahmaju

• #3,072
Today I learned that there is a brand of crisps in the UK called "Hint of Salt". (Translation: UK crisps = US potato chips.) With a name like that, you'd expect its salt content to be a fraction of that of standard crisps. Well, it is a fraction, but the fraction is ##\tfrac{3}{4}##. Since when was ##\frac{3}{4}## a "hint"?

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #3,073
DrGreg said:
Since when was ##\frac{3}{4}## a "hint"?
When "full-on" is "but a dash"...

• #3,074
Today I learned two things in one post.
I can just paste an illustration into my post! For years I've always saved a file on my pc, uploaded it and inserted it. I thought I was copying text, but it was a picture of text.

I looked up how to show a vector in Latex. I'd never done it before and only wanted it now, to explain to someone that they didn't need to use vectors for their problem!

I think both will be useful in future, but both got removed from that post during editing!

• #3,075
spending the week end in bed is a good thing some time

• #3,076
hagopbul said:
spending the week end in bed is a good thing some time
You have broken the rule 😁. We are told to start with "Today I learned..." 😆

• #3,077
Today I learned that Adesh broke the (self-invented?) rule, too.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Adesh
  • #3,078
mfb said:
(self-invented?)
Blithely ignoring the rule while citing it, it's in post #1.

• Haha
Likes Adesh
  • #3,079
Today I learned from @mfb and @Ibix that I shouldn’t fill this thread by my poor jokes (it’s a rule of this thread) 😁
I don’t know if I have broken the rule again 😆

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #3,080
Today I learned that moths (or rather their larvae) have eaten away the edges of our ancient lounge carpet behind and underneath our furniture. When we had our old sofas removed today in preparation for having new ones delivered tomorrow, we found there were lots of holes and bare patches in the carpet and there were lots of empty white things about the size of a grain of rice which are apparently the case in which the larva grows. Here in the UK the culprits are apparently probably clothes moths rather than carpet moths, but they are similar.

We have often moved the sofas enough to vacuum up the dust and spiders webs which tend to form behind them, without looking too carefully down the back, but I suspect that by the law of unintended consequences the removal of the webs meant that fewer moths were caught so that probably helped them to multiply! However, I couldn't find any live moths or larvae around so perhaps they have taken a long time to get that far.

We were already provisionally planning to get new carpets anyway, but we are going to speed that up provided that we can be reassured that we can either eliminate enough of the moths or find a suitable carpet that the moths don't like to eat. (We already have one artificial fibre carpet, but the colour seems to wear off in places where it gets more use, so I'm not keen on getting another one like it).