Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topics in mathematics

1. Aug 31, 2013 #1
    For a mathematical methods course, the end of year assignment is to study and present a topic in mathematics of my choice. I'd like to pick something directly related to electrodynamics that will prove to be useful later. However, I have very little idea of what is used in electrodynamics! Does anyone have a suggestion?

This is a sophomore/junior level course. My mathematics background so far is Calc 1,2, multivariable, vector, and diff. eqs.

Thank you very much for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure whether you are up to it, but Fourier analysis would fit right in.

4. Aug 31, 2013 #3

clem

Science Advisor

Fourier series would probably be enough for an undergraduate level.
    Vector calculus (div, grad, curl) from a physics, rather than a mathematical point of view would also be good.

5. Sep 1, 2013 #4
    Maybe some rudimental tensor calculus? Our electrodynamics course was based on Landau&Lifshitz.
    First google result: link. This is fairly sufficient and not much for an undergraduate level course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook