1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topics in mathematics

1. Aug 31, 2013 #1
    For a mathematical methods course, the end of year assignment is to study and present a topic in mathematics of my choice. I'd like to pick something directly related to electrodynamics that will prove to be useful later. However, I have very little idea of what is used in electrodynamics! Does anyone have a suggestion?

This is a sophomore/junior level course. My mathematics background so far is Calc 1,2, multivariable, vector, and diff. eqs.

Thank you very much for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure whether you are up to it, but Fourier analysis would fit right in.

4. Aug 31, 2013 #3

clem

Science Advisor

Fourier series would probably be enough for an undergraduate level.
    Vector calculus (div, grad, curl) from a physics, rather than a mathematical point of view would also be good.

5. Sep 1, 2013 #4
    Maybe some rudimental tensor calculus? Our electrodynamics course was based on Landau&Lifshitz.
    First google result: link. This is fairly sufficient and not much for an undergraduate level course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook