Two IC Engines: Comparing Torque Curves

In summary: The two IC engines must have different RPMs at which the torque crossover occurs, meaning that one engine has more power than the other.
B565
Hello there , hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me . let's say you have two IC engines . all variables are the same . Engine A has a completely flat torque curve at 500’ lbs to 550’ lbs . Engine B has a torque curve that starts out at 450’lbs but gradually makes its way to 650’ lbs. What engine is going to accelerate faster from a complete stop ? And why ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Initially, the 500'lb engine will accelerate faster from zero, because the 450'lb engine has less torque.
You have not specified the RPM at which the torque crossover occurs, or the time for the comparisson.

B565 said:
What engine is going to accelerate faster from a complete stop
I always have a problem with this sort of question because a true comparison is only possible if they both have 'ideal' (continuous ratio) gearboxes. Under those conditions, (ignoring the first few hundred RPM) they can both be made to develop their maximum Power. After all, it's Power times time that gives the amount of Kinetic Energy the car acquires. I imagine that car propulsion techniques are very 'practical' with pragmatic design so the OP assumes certain things about the situation.

Torque is very important in practice but, without knowing more about those two engines and transmissions, you can't be sure of an answer to this one.

PS Torque: I am not sure what a 'flat torque curve' means - except to imply that there are no actual departures from a torque curve with constant slope (not horizontal - aka flat) over those speeds. I realize that torque has what you feel as pressure from the back of the seat but I don't see how constant acceleration gives the fastest mean speed increases. At the lower speed, there should be more torque available if the gearing is doing all it can.

Thank you for the great information.

Ok , let me try to rewrite this question, 2 IC engines same weight car , transmission and gearing. Everything the same . Car A starts off at 400lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and goes to 410lbs of torque in .300 of a second. Car B starts off at 400lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and goes to 525lbs of torque in .300 of a second. Which car accelerates faster in .300 of a second ? Both have the same fluid torque converter & leave upon release of a transbrake valvebody.
Thanks

So Car A & B both start at the same RPM & torque - therefore also the same power - and one increases torque faster than the other. Here comes your first glitch in your "everything the same" statement: Either both engines increase their RPM at the same rate - meaning the one with the highest torque has more power - or both engines have the same power - meaning that the one with the highest torque has a lower RPM. It is impossible that everything stays the same when changing the torque.

It is meaningless to try to link torque & acceleration in a moving vehicle, within a given velocity range. For more info: When Vehicle Power Dictates Acceleration

Likes Ranger Mike and sophiecentaur
I understand that you have been subjected, via 'the trade' to many engineering inaccuracies. It has confused you. To get to grips with this, you need to unlearn quite a lot so that you can distinguish between fact and BS.
jack action said:
and one increases torque faster than the other
How can that be happening?
B565 said:
Which car accelerates faster in .300 of a second ? Both have the same fluid torque converter
I don't understand your scenario. If both the torque and speed are increasing, then the engine output power must be increasing. With optimal gearing, the engine would be operating at maximum power all the time so your model is not optimal or even properly described (afaics) because an increase in
The acceleration will mean an increase in kinetic energy per second and that should be the power developed. You should be using the right units for torque (lbs,ft)
If the engine is working optimally then it will be developing its maximum power at all times (torque times revs). Your figures of (400 X 4000) and (525 X 4000) tells you that the second car would have higher acceleration because there's more power available.

It's true that it's the results of torque that you 'feel' (pressure on your back from the seat) but it's always down to the actual power output of the engine. The gearbox does its best to make sure that the engine is running at the optimum speed so it can deliver its power at the optimum revs. The torque is actually an intermediate quantity.

Since everything else is defined as being identical, the only explanation is that the two IC engines must have different power curves.
Maybe car B had greater acceleration, or maybe the car B handbrake was still on.

Likes russ_watters and sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
jack action said:
and one increases torque faster than the other
How can that be happening?
Very easily. Take this extreme case:
  • Engine A's RPM goes up and torque goes down, and car accelerate;
  • Engine B's RPM goes down and torque goes up, but car decelerate.
You assume both RPM increases at the same rate, but it is not really specified. The end point of my post is that it is impossible that everything else stays the same when you change the torque. Your assumptions are good as anyone else's.
sophiecentaur said:
If both the torque and speed are increasing,
Nobody stated the speed is increasing. This is the problem with the question.

Going back to the question in post #5, let's imagine that the RPM stays the same in both cases (isn't that the hypothesis of the question, everything the same?), then if the torque increases to any value, the acceleration will be zero in any case, because the RPM did not increase. But, of course, this can only happen if something changes, like a gust of wind increasing the aerodynamic drag. The moral of the story is still that you cannot change the torque without changing something else.

We can play this game as long as we want, because linking acceleration directly to torque in this case is pointless. Acceleration can only be linked to power output and mass (inertia), for a given velocity.

Last edited:
Likes Ranger Mike
jack action said:
Nobody stated the speed is increasing.
I understood that from the following:
B565 said:
Car A starts off at 400lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and goes to 410lbs of torque in .300 of a second. Car B starts off at 400lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and goes to 525lbs of torque in .300 of a second. Which car accelerates faster in .300 of a second ?

Something I have a problem with, in this sort of question is that it's always numbers and not formulae. The above statement implies that the throttle pedal is pressed harder (??) so does that happen without any increase in speed? Can we do any actual calculations without knowing the increase in KE? I see the problem here as insufficient data and imprecise description.
I think the handbrake comment further up the thread must be relevant.

Likes jack action
B565 said:
Ok , let me try to rewrite this question, 2 IC engines same weight car , transmission and gearing. Everything the same . Car A starts off at 400lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and goes to 410lbs of torque in .300 of a second. Car B starts off at 400lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and goes to 525lbs of torque in .300 of a second. Which car accelerates faster in .300 of a second ? Both have the same fluid torque converter & leave upon release of a transbrake valvebody.
Thanks
All this happens in around 20 turns of the crankshafts.
What makes engine B increase its output torque 31% during the same short period of time as engine A increases its torque only 2.5% in 20 turns?

In my humble opinion, that is only possible if there is big difference in how open each throttle is.
If that is true, engine B is sucking much more air/fuel mix, which increases its mean combustion pressure, which increases its delivered torque, which increases the forward force of car B’s wheels.

As both cars have identical masses, transmission reduction rates, etc., car B would have burned more fuel and pushing forward a little harder and increased its velocity over car A a little.
There is not much delta-acceleration to measure in 0.300 of a second; perhaps a good portion of the initial extra energy is used in deforming the tires and heating converter or clutch.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and jack action

1. What is a torque curve?

A torque curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the torque produced by an engine and its rotational speed. It shows how much torque an engine can produce at different speeds, and is typically measured in units of pound-feet or Newton-meters.

2. How do you compare torque curves between two engines?

To compare torque curves between two engines, you can plot them on the same graph and analyze their shapes and values at different speeds. You can also calculate the area under the curve, which represents the total amount of work the engine can do.

3. What information can be gathered from comparing torque curves?

Comparing torque curves can provide valuable information about an engine's performance. It can show how much torque an engine can produce at different speeds, its overall power output, and its efficiency. It can also reveal differences in torque delivery between different engine designs.

4. How do torque curves affect an engine's performance?

Torque curves play a crucial role in an engine's performance. A flat and broad torque curve means the engine can deliver consistent power over a wide range of speeds, making it more versatile and efficient. A steep and narrow torque curve may indicate a more specialized engine with a narrower power band.

5. Can torque curves be improved?

Yes, torque curves can be improved through engine tuning and modifications. Changes in the engine's intake and exhaust systems, as well as its fuel and ignition systems, can affect the shape and values of the torque curve. However, it is important to consider the trade-offs and potential impacts on the engine's overall performance and longevity.