1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and angular momentum with ball shot into air

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    A 0.380 kg ball is shot directly upward with an initial speed of 38.5 m/s. What is its angular momentum about point P, at a horizontal distance of 1.85 m from the launch point, when the ball is at its max height? Halfway back to the ground? What is the torque on the ball about point P due to the gravitational force when the ball is at its max height? Halfway back to the ground?

Where should I begin?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2005 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The angular momentum of a particle wrt to a point would be
    [tex] l=r \times p [/tex].
    So, what do you need to find first to find the angular momentum?

4. Nov 22, 2005 #3
    to find angular momentum when the object is halfway back to the ground, should i use the velocity at that point? and to find r, would i use the hypotenuse of the height of the object and the distance the object is from P?

5. Jan 11, 2008 #4
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have this exact same question on a problem due tonight. Only difference is my initial velocity is 41.0m/s and point P is 2.05m from the base of the launch point and the mass is 0.360kg.

I used kinematics to find the maximum height:
    v^2 - v0^2 = 2*a*D
    0 - 41^2 = 2 * (-9.8) * D
    D = 85.7m

I'm solving the torque one first.

Torque = rxF = r * F * sin theta

F in this case, in the problem they are defining it as the gravitational force which would be mg = 0.360 * 9.8 = 3.52N

Now, we need to find r.

That would be pythagorean theorem...sqrt ( 2.05^2 + 85.7^2 ) = 85.789m..

So we have mg * r = 0.360 * 9.8 * 85.789 * sin theta

I keep getting the problem wrong because I think I am getting the wrong value of theta?

Theta is the tan inverse of (2.05 / 85.7), right?

Here's an image:
    [​IMG]

6. Jun 9, 2011 #5
    I believe the angle should be tan^(-1)(y/x) so its your max height over your distance to point p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?