Torque and vector position....

In summary, torque is a measure of the force applied to an object that causes it to rotate. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation. Vector position refers to the location and orientation of an object in space, described by a combination of magnitude and direction. Together, torque and vector position play a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects in rotational dynamics.
physics user1
The torque is the cross product with a position vector (that is the lever lenght) and a force

But i the is torque also if there isn't a lever? I mean an instantaneus torque that is different in each point we consider it like in the photo

It is also a torque even if something doesn't rotate?

In lecture I have seen that the momentum can be like that

Attachments

• 1452113968377-670310684.jpg
    1452113968377-670310684.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Cozma Alex said:
But i the is torque also if there isn't a lever?

It is also a torque even if something doesn't rotate?
Yes and yes.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated as the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

2. How is torque represented as a vector quantity?

Torque is represented as a vector quantity by using the right-hand rule. The direction of the torque vector is perpendicular to the plane formed by the force vector and the distance vector from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is described by Newton's second law of motion for rotation, which states that the net torque acting on an object is equal to the moment of inertia of the object multiplied by its angular acceleration.

4. How does the position of the applied force affect the torque?

The position of the applied force affects the torque by changing the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. The farther the force is applied from the axis, the greater the torque will be.

5. What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque is produced when a force causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction, while negative torque is produced when a force causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction. The direction of torque is determined by the direction of rotation it produces.