Converting Torque in SI Units

• Thread starter ShakeWell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has a listed torque of 410 pound-feet at 4800 rpm. To convert this to SI units, it would be approximately 556 Nm. However, there may be other factors at play and further information is needed for an accurate conversion.
ShakeWell
Question:

The 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is listed as "390 horsepower at 6000 rpm, 410 pound-feet of torque at 4800 rpm." Pretty cool, but what is the value of this torque in SI units?

I'm not sure what the question is asking for, i tried to just convert the 410 lb ft torque to Nm, and it said i was wrong. Any hints on how this is done? thanks. Dont know much about cars :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us how you tried to do the conversion.

ahhh.. nvm, just got it, i only converted to kg meters the first time, forgot the 9.81, so i guess all the info on the horsepower and stuff is just red herring? hmph

1. What is torque conversion?

Torque conversion is the process of converting a torque measurement from one unit to another. This is often necessary when working with different systems or equipment that use different units of measurement for torque.

2. Why is torque conversion important?

Torque conversion is important because it allows for consistency and accuracy in measurements. By converting torque measurements to a standard unit, scientists and engineers can communicate and compare results easily.

3. What are the common units used for torque conversion?

The most common units used for torque conversion are Newton-meters (Nm), inch-pounds (in-lb), foot-pounds (ft-lb), and pound-force feet (lbf-ft).

4. How do I convert torque from one unit to another?

To convert torque from one unit to another, use a conversion factor. The conversion factor is a ratio that relates the two units of measurement. Multiply the torque value by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

5. Can torque conversion be done manually?

Yes, torque conversion can be done manually by using conversion tables or calculators. However, there are also online conversion tools available that can make the process quicker and more accurate.