Torque due to electromagnetic induction

In summary: They're also not perpendicular at (0,R) which would correspond to θ = π/2 if you drew my diagram.As a matter of fact, dl x B points in the k direction at both (R,0) and (0,R) since d l points tangentially along the loop and B points in the j direction with magnitude B at both (R,0) and (0,R).Go ahead and write dF in terms of R and dθ.In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the torque experienced by a circular coil carrying a current when a magnetic induction acts at right angles to a diameter of the coil. The final solution is given by T=Iπr^{2}Bsinω
eas123

Homework Statement

A circular coil of radius r carries a current I. A magnetic induction B acts at right angles to a diameter of the coil. Show that the current experiences a torque T about the diameter given by T=Iπ[itex]r^{2}[/itex]Bsinω, where ω is the angle between the normal to the plane of the coil and the induction B.

Homework Equations

F=∫IdlxB

The Attempt at a Solution

T=Fr/2=Ir/2∫dlxB
Taking the modulus of both sides, T=Ir/2∫Bdlcos(ω)=IrBlcos(ω)/2=Iπ[itex]r^{2}[/itex]Bcosω
I suspect the step where I take the modulus of the inside of the integral is wrong, but I'm not sure why.

More generally, I'm unsure how to calculate a cross product such as dlxB around a circle. The modulus of this is Bdlsin(θ), but what is the angle θ?

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier if you let ω = π/2 at first. So draw the circular loop in the x-y plane with center at the origin and radius = R. Draw a diameter along the x axis. What direction is the B field in? Call θ the angle between the x-axis and a point on the loop in the 1st quadrant.

Then use d F= I d l x B to get the force on the loop in the direction you're looking for. Remember, they're asking for torque about the diameter, so you're looking for the component of d F = dF in the appropriate direction.

Now you have dF about the diameter as a function of θ. Now, given dF, what is torque d τ about the diameter? Watch out , this is tricky - the torque is about the diameter, not the origin, so don't just use dτ = R * dF.

Then integrate dτ from θ = 0 to π/2 and multiply by 4 since there are 4 quadrants.

Finally, include the effect of ω not being π/2 but any angle 0 < ω < π/2. This is a tilt angle about the diameter.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll try the method you suggested now. :thumbup:

Hi. I'm trying to use the method above but I'm having some problems.
dT=rcosθdF, and T=4∫dT between 0 and π/2. But I don't know how to write dF as a function of dθ.
How do I use the expression dF=I dl x B to find dF?

Thanks so much!

Don't start figuring torque. Start with force.

Did you draw the diagram I suggested? Let's take two points on the loop, one at (R,0) the other at (0,R). What is dl x B as a function of R and dθ for those two locations? Remember, B points in the j direction if you let ω = π/2 for the time being.

This is the point I don't understand. Since dl and B are perpendicular, dl x B = B dl, but that's not a function of theta...

eas123 said:
This is the point I don't understand. Since dl and B are perpendicular, dl x B = B dl, but that's not a function of theta...

d l and B are not perpendicular at (R,0) which would correspond to θ = 0 if you drew my diagram.

Related to Torque due to electromagnetic induction

1. What is torque due to electromagnetic induction?

Torque due to electromagnetic induction is the rotational force produced when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current induced in the conductor.

2. How is torque due to electromagnetic induction calculated?

The formula for calculating torque due to electromagnetic induction is T = BIL, where T is the torque, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current in the conductor, and L is the length of the conductor in the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of torque due to electromagnetic induction?

The direction of torque due to electromagnetic induction can be determined using Fleming's left-hand rule. This rule states that if the thumb, index finger, and middle finger of the left hand are placed perpendicular to each other, with the index finger pointing in the direction of the magnetic field, the middle finger in the direction of the current, then the thumb will point in the direction of the torque.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of torque due to electromagnetic induction?

The magnitude of torque due to electromagnetic induction is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the conductor, and the length of the conductor in the magnetic field. The angle between the magnetic field and the conductor also plays a role in determining the magnitude of torque.

5. What are some real-life applications of torque due to electromagnetic induction?

Torque due to electromagnetic induction is used in various devices, such as electric motors and generators. It is also utilized in household appliances like blenders and fans, as well as in industrial machinery like cranes and conveyor belts. Additionally, torque due to electromagnetic induction is used in power plants to generate electricity from the movement of turbines in a magnetic field.