Understanding Torque Transfer in Coupled Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tangential and axial forces on a worm gear coupled to a DC motor. The Tangential Force equation is provided, with the variable M1 representing the worm torque. The question arises whether M1 should be the output torque from the motor or if it needs to be modified due to the difference in shaft diameters between the motor and worm gear. The expert notes that the torque in the motor shaft would be the same regardless of shaft diameter and therefore, the worm torque would also be the same.
smiller15
Hello All,
I have a quick question about torque and how it transfers to a coupled object. I am coupling a DC motor onto a worm gear and I need to calculate the tangential and axial forces on the worm. The Tangential Force equation is as follows:

Fwt = (2*M1)/d1 where Fwt is the tangential force of the worm, M1 is defined as the worm torque and d1 is the referenced diameter of the worm.

My question stems from the M1 variable and is it just simply the output torque from the motor it is coupled to or would I need to modify the torque value before I input it into the tangential force equation? The only reason I am questioning things is due to torque being dependent upon the length of the lever arm (shaft diameter in this case) and the worm gear shaft is larger than my motor shaft.

I appreciate any help into my confusion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
smiller15 said:
The only reason I am questioning things is due to torque being dependent upon the length of the lever arm (shaft diameter in this case) and the worm gear shaft is larger than my motor shaft.

I'm not familiar with the equation you mention (not my field) but the above is wrong.

If the system loads up the motor so that the motor is generating X Nm of torque then that's the torque in the motor shaft regardless of the shaft diameter of the motor. If the worm is connected to the motor shaft then the worm torque is also X Nm.

1. What is torque on a coupled object?

Torque on a coupled object is a measure of the rotational force that is exerted on an object when a force is applied at a distance from its axis of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated on a coupled object?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What are some real-life examples of torque on a coupled object?

Examples of torque on a coupled object include turning a doorknob, using a wrench to loosen a bolt, and pedaling a bicycle. In each of these cases, a force is applied at a distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in rotational motion.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the torque on a coupled object?

The direction of the force is important in determining the direction of the torque on a coupled object. If the force is applied at a perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation, the torque will be greatest. If the force is applied at an angle, the torque will be lessened.

5. How can torque on a coupled object be increased?

To increase the torque on a coupled object, either the force applied or the distance from the axis of rotation must be increased. For example, using a longer wrench to loosen a bolt will increase the torque, as the distance from the axis of rotation is greater.