Torque Pulley Problem: Calculating Angular Acceleration | Homework Solution"

In summary, the problem involves calculating the angular acceleration of a pulley system using given masses, lengths, and moments of inertia. The solution attempted involved using torque equations and converting units, but resulted in an incorrect answer. Further consideration of the moment of inertia for the pulley may be necessary for a correct solution.
sonic91

Homework Statement

Untitled.jpg

the problem statement is in the pic.

Homework Equations

inertia for cylinder shape= m*r^2*1/2
torque=F*"length
sum of torque= "inertia" * "angular acceleration"
w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking that the weight forces of the masses times the length would give me the individual torques. i converted the cm to m to stay in SI units. having the counterclockwise as my positive direction i set up my equation:
(9.8m/s^2*1kg*.1m) + (9.8m/s^2*4.9kg*.1m)= 1/2*4kg*.1m^2* "angular acceleration".
i got "angular acceleration" = 191.1 rad/s^2. i entered this into the computer and i confirmed that it was wrong.

i was thinking that maybe i needed to use the 2 different tension forces in place of the gravitational forces that i used in my torque equation. but in that case i end up with an equation with 3 unknowns. so I'm not sure what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't you need the moment of inertia for the pulley to?

pat666 said:
wouldn't you need the moment of inertia for the pulley to?

in the problem i have enough info to calculate the moment of inertia:

1/2 *m *r^2 using the given mass and radius of the pulley.

1/2 *4kg*.1^2= .02 kg m

1. What is torque in a pulley problem?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In a pulley problem, torque refers to the force applied to the pulley that causes it to turn.

2. How is torque calculated in a pulley problem?

To calculate torque in a pulley problem, you need to multiply the force applied to the pulley by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is also known as the lever arm or moment arm.

3. What is the relationship between torque and pulley radius?

The torque in a pulley problem is directly proportional to the radius of the pulley. This means that a larger pulley will require less force to produce the same amount of torque as a smaller pulley.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect torque in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a system has no effect on the amount of torque produced. However, using multiple pulleys can change the direction of the force and make it easier to lift a heavy load.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of torque calculations in a pulley problem?

The accuracy of torque calculations in a pulley problem can be affected by factors such as the friction in the pulley system, the weight of the pulley itself, and the angle at which the force is applied to the pulley.