Calculating Force in a Frictionless System with Inclined Mass and Wheel

• Thread starter BoldKnight399
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, a 15 kg mass attached to a chord wrapped around a wheel with a radius of 10.2 cm experiences an acceleration of 0.84 m/s^2 down a frictionless incline with an angle of 38 degrees. To find the force in the rope, a free body diagram must be drawn and Newton's Second Law must be used. The angle of the incline is necessary to complete the problem.
BoldKnight399
A 15 kg mass is attached to a chord that is wrapped around a wheel with a radius 10.2 cm. The acceleration of the mass down the frictionless incline is .84 m/s^2. Assume the axle of the wheel to be frictionless. Find the force in the rope. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. Answer in units of N.

Ok so I don't truly understand how to approach this problem. Since it is part of my homework having to deal with torque, I feel that torque should have something to do with it, but I can't figure out how to relate it. If I don't use torque, can I just say that:
F=ma?
and if so, I understand that my mass is 15 kg. But my acceleration, how would I take that into account since it is on an incline of 38 degrees (sorry, it has a picture but it will not cut and paste for some reason.)

If anyone has any suggestions of how to approach this problem or how to find the acceleration, that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram and use Newton's Second Law. As far as the acceleration of the mass is concerned, it makes no difference what's at the other end of the rope to maintain the tension that you are looking for. To finish the problem, you will need the angle of the incline which is not mentioned in the statement of the problem.

Ok so I tried to draw a force diagram. I have that the angle is 38 degrees. So drawing the force diagram, I found that the weight of the block was split, going towards the left and pointed straight down. Now I was thinking that the tension and force of the string would be
Fnet=Fgravity-Fstring
so
m*a=cos(38)m*g-Fstring
(15)(.84)=cos(38)(15)(9.81)-Fstring
12.6=115.9557-Fstring

does that make sense or is Newton turning in the grave right now?

The equation makes sense only if 38o is the angle of the incline with respect to the vertical, not the horizontal. If the angle is (conventionally) defined with respect to the horizontal, you need to change the cosine to a sine.

1. What is torque and how is it defined?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is defined as the product of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque different from force?

While both torque and force involve the application of a force to an object, torque specifically refers to the rotational effect of that force. Force, on the other hand, can be applied in any direction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of torque?

The magnitude of torque is affected by the amount of force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Additionally, the angle at which the force is applied can also affect the magnitude of torque.

4. How is torque measured?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). This can be done using a torque wrench, which uses a calibrated spring to measure the amount of force being applied.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque?

Torque is used in many different fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. Some common applications include tightening bolts and screws, opening or closing doors, and powering machinery such as car engines.