Help with Torque Calculation for High Speed Drill

In summary, the conversation is about finding the torque applied to a drill bit with a high speed drill that develops 0.500 HP at 1600 RPM. There is some confusion about the units and conversions needed for the formula T=P/omega, which is based on the metric system. The conversation also discusses the conversion of HP to ft.lb/s and RPM to rad/s. Ultimately, the solution is found to be Torque = 1.64 ft-lbs.
wickid
Hello,

I have been stuck on what is probably a fairly easy physics question involving Torque.

A high speed drill develops 0.500 HP at 1600 RPM. Wjat torque is applied to the drill bit?

I have the formula as T=P/Omega

P=.5 HP which I am unsure if I need to convert to another measure of unit
Omega = 1600 RPM which I am pretty sure needs to be converted into Degree

If someone could please help me set the problem up with the proper units, I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends what units you want the Torque in.

You would have to be aware that 1HP is equal to 550 ft.lb/s, you also need to convert RPM to rad/s (multiply by 2pi/60), which is indicated by the word omega (angular velocity).

This produces the formula [tex]T=\frac{33000HP}{2{\pi}N}[/tex], and will be in lb. ft.

Delta said:
It depends what units you want the Torque in.

You would have to be aware that 1HP is equal to 550 ft.lb/s, you also need to convert RPM to rad/s (multiply by 2pi/60), which is indicated by the word omega (angular velocity).

This produces the formula [tex]T=\frac{33000HP}{2{\pi}N}[/tex], and will be in lb. ft.

Thank you for your response,

I am a bit confused as to how you got 33000HP.
Also to get Rad/S, I thought we would take 1600 RPM/60 s = 53.33 RPS * [tex]{2{\pi}[/tex] = 167.467 rad/s

Does the N refference Newtons in the divisor, or is it a number or another unit?

Also when using HP, we are converting to ft lbs, if dividing by omega in Rad/S aren't we using both british and metric units? Shouldn't we use degrees/s instead of Rad/s as they are both british units?

Please forgive me is I am missing something really basic, and I appreciate your assistance.

If you want to keep the HP and rpm units a direct calculation is:

[tex]HP = \frac{T \omega}{5252}[/tex]

That will give you the resultant torque in ft-Lbf.

The formula you have (T=P/omega) is is based on a metric system (i.e. standard SI units). HP is more of a imperial measurement.

The conversion of HP to ft.lb/s is by a factor of 550, the conversion of RPM to rad/s is by a factor of 2pi/60. And I should of mentioned that N represents the RPM. If these factors are included in the formula you gave above you get.

[tex]T=\frac{P}{\omega}[/tex]

[tex]T=\frac{HP*550}{N*2{\pi}/60}=\frac{60*550HP}{2{\pi}N}=\frac{33000HP}{2{\pi}N}[/tex]

On the note about degrees. Radians are always used in angular velocities and torques etc whatever the bias of other force units.

It may be best/easier (or more logical) to forget about the formula above and simply convert the HP to its lb.ft/s, the RPM to rad/s and plug them into your T=P/omega equation.

Yes, [itex]\tau=P/\omega[/itex] and [itex]\omega=2\pi f[/itex], where f is the revolution frequency; it is 1600 min^-1 or 26.7 s^-1. P=0.5 hp=275 ft-lbs/s. Now: Don't worry about systems of units! Just see whether or not the units cancel:
[tex]\tau=\frac{275\,\mbox{ft.lbs/sec}}{2\pi\times 26.7\,\mbox{/sec}}[/tex]
Notice that the inverse seconds in the numerator and denominator do cancel. That's what you want. Do the math and you are left with ft.lbs.

Thank you for your explanation.

Using your conversions and formula, am I correct in saying that the answer is Torque = 1.64 ft-lbs?

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the torque for a high speed drill?

To calculate the torque for a high speed drill, you will need to know the power output of the drill (in horsepower or watts) and the rotational speed (in revolutions per minute or radians per second). You can then use the formula: Torque = (Power output x 60) / (2 x pi x rotational speed). This will give you the torque in units of pound-feet or Newton-meters.

2. What factors affect the torque of a high speed drill?

Several factors can affect the torque of a high speed drill, including the power of the motor, the speed of rotation, and the size and design of the drill bit. Additionally, the material being drilled and the condition of the drill (such as dullness or wear) can also affect the torque.

3. How does the torque of a high speed drill impact its performance?

The torque of a high speed drill is directly related to its ability to drill through tough materials and to maintain a consistent speed. A higher torque allows for more power and efficiency in drilling, while a lower torque may result in slower or less effective drilling.

4. Can I use the same torque calculation for different types of high speed drills?

The basic torque calculation mentioned above can be used for most high speed drills, but keep in mind that different types of drills may have different power outputs and rotational speeds. It is important to accurately measure these values for the specific drill you are using in order to get an accurate torque calculation.

5. How can I increase the torque of my high speed drill?

To increase the torque of your high speed drill, you can try using a smaller drill bit, sharpening or replacing the current drill bit, or upgrading to a more powerful drill with a higher power output. You can also try reducing the speed of rotation, which can sometimes help to increase torque. However, keep in mind that the torque of a drill is limited by its motor and design, so it may not be possible to significantly increase the torque beyond its original specifications.