Torque to rotate spinning gyroscope

In summary, the Hubble Space Telescope uses gyroscopes to stabilize itself to within an angle of about 2 millionths of a degree. Each gyroscope is modeled as a thin-walled cylinder with a mass of 2.00 and a diameter of 5.00 spinning about its central axis. To cause these gyroscopes to precess through an angle of 1.30×10−6 degree during a 5.00 hour exposure of a galaxy, the torque required would be 3.17*10^-12 Nm.
soffish335

Homework Statement

The Hubble Space Telescope is stabilized to within an angle of about 2 millionths of a degree by means of a series of gyroscopes that spin at 1.92×104 . Although the structure of these gyroscopes is actually quite complex, we can model each of the gyroscopes as a thin-walled cylinder of mass 2.00 and diameter 5.00 , spinning about its central axis.
How large a torque would it take to cause these gyroscopes to precess through an angle of 1.30×10−6 degree during a 5.00 hour exposure of a galaxy?

Homework Equations

L=I*ω
torque = Ω*L
I=mr^2
Ω=Δθ/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=1.92*10^4rpm
=2010.62rad/s

I=mr^2
=2(0.005)^2
=0.005

Δθ=1.3*10^6deg
=7.4484*10^-5rad

Δt=5 hours
=18000s

torque = Ω*I*ω
=(7.4484*10^-5/18000)*0.005*2010.62
=4.1*10^-8 Nm

This is the wrong answer and I feel as if the torque shold be rather larger by intuition. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: 3.17*10^-12 Nm turned out to be the correct answer, but i'd still like to know how to do this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check this again:
Δθ=1.3*10^-6deg
=7.4484*10^-5rad

sorry, i made a mistake in my original post, the given angle is 1.3^-6deg.

ok, so now i get
Δθ=2.2*10^-8deg

torque=(2.2*10^-8/18000)*0.005*2010.62
=1.27*10^-11

I think 1.27*10^-11 is not the correct answer , how is the question being solved in the correct way ?

The problem with your solution, in case you are still wondering,
is I= mr^2
not I=md^2
therefore you take the diameter of 5 divide it by 2.
So I=2(0.025^2)
and that would be the last error after the conversion of degrees to radians which you fixed.
I just had to do the same problem so I decided to answer your question.

1. What is torque in relation to a rotating gyroscope?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. In the case of a spinning gyroscope, torque is the force that is applied to the axis of rotation, causing the gyroscope to rotate around that axis.

2. How is torque calculated for a spinning gyroscope?

To calculate torque for a spinning gyroscope, you need to know the magnitude of the force applied to the axis of rotation and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Torque is then calculated by multiplying the force by the distance.

3. What factors affect the torque needed to rotate a spinning gyroscope?

The torque needed to rotate a spinning gyroscope is affected by several factors, including the mass of the gyroscope, the speed at which it is spinning, and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In addition, the shape and distribution of mass in the gyroscope can also affect the torque required.

4. How does torque affect the stability of a spinning gyroscope?

Torque plays a crucial role in the stability of a spinning gyroscope. In order for a gyroscope to maintain its orientation and resist external forces, the applied torque must be equal to or greater than the external torque acting on it. This is known as the principle of angular momentum conservation.

5. How is torque used in practical applications of spinning gyroscopes?

Spinning gyroscopes are used in a variety of practical applications, such as navigation systems, gyrocompasses, and stabilization systems for spacecraft and satellites. In these applications, torque is used to control the orientation and stability of the gyroscope, allowing it to perform its intended function.