Torque transfer via bar - Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two bars connected to two walls and torques at fixed points. The question asks about the relationship between the torques at two different points. The individual sharing the conversation has attempted to solve the problem but has not been successful. They are open to suggestions and additional information on the geometry and forces involved.
Slickepot
A friend of mine asked about this problem and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips how to solve it.

1. The problem statement.
(picture attached)
Two bars L1 and L3, connected to two walls, can turn around their fixed wall positions. Torques in those points M1 and M3. The bars are connected via a bar (L2) and joints P and Q (full motion).
What is the connection between the torques around M1 and M3?

3. Attempt at a solution.
All my attempts have seemed unreasonable.
I believe M1 torque can be small to result in a big M3 torque when angle α is large.
Also believe M1 has to be huge compared to M3 when L2 is almost parallell to L3.

All ideas or suggestions how to approuch this problem is welcome. Any similar problems or links to reading material would be great.
Thanks

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need more information on the geometry of the problem; enough information to derive the positions of all 4 joints. Assuming the force acting is gravity, you'll also need masses in there somewhere. Once you have that, diagram the forces acting, and you should be able to find the torque. I'm interested to see the solution though.

Related to Torque transfer via bar - Mechanics

1. What is torque transfer via bar?

Torque transfer via bar is a phenomenon in mechanics where rotational force, or torque, is transmitted from an input shaft to an output shaft through a connecting bar or lever. This is commonly used in various machines and mechanisms, such as bicycles, cars, and engines.

2. How does torque transfer via bar work?

Torque transfer via bar works by utilizing the principle of torque equilibrium. When a force is applied to one end of the bar, it creates a torque which is transmitted through the bar to the other end. This results in rotational motion of the output shaft.

3. What factors affect torque transfer via bar?

The main factors that affect torque transfer via bar include the length of the bar, the angle at which the force is applied, the material and cross-sectional shape of the bar, and the friction between the bar and the input/output shafts.

4. How is torque transfer via bar calculated?

The torque transferred through a bar can be calculated using the formula T = F * d * sin(theta), where T is the torque, F is the applied force, d is the distance from the point of force application to the center of rotation, and theta is the angle between the force and the bar.

5. What are some applications of torque transfer via bar?

Torque transfer via bar has various applications in engineering and mechanics. Some examples include bicycle pedals, car gear shifters, engine camshafts, and industrial machinery. It is also used in everyday objects such as scissors, tongs, and see-saws.