How Do You Calculate the Inside Diameter and Mass Savings for Hollow Shafts?

In summary, the given problem involves finding the inside diameter of a hollow shaft in order to transmit the same maximum torque as a solid shaft with a diameter of 203mm. Using the polar second moment of area equations, the value for J is calculated to be 1.667x10^-4 m^4 for the solid shaft and 214mm for the hollow shaft. However, the final calculation for the inside diameter of the hollow shaft is incorrect and requires further analysis.
DevonZA

Homework Statement

A solid and hollow shaft of the same material must transmit the same maximum torque. The diameter of the solid shaft is 203mm and the outside diameter of the hollow shaft is to be 216mm.
a) Determine the inside diameter of the hollow shaft. (answer = 138.7mm)
b) What percentage saving in mass would be obtained? (answer 33.46%)

Homework Equations

J=π*(D^4)/32

J=π*(D^4-d^4)/32

T/J = G * theta/l = τ/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured because I am only given diameters I need to use the polar second moment of area equations

For the solid shaft:
J=π*(D^4)/32
= π*(.203^4)/32
= 1.667x10^-4 m^4

For the hollow shaft (I don't think I can make the value of J the same for both the solid and hollow shaft but I don't know what else to do):
J=π*(D^4-d^4)/32
1.667x10^-4= π*(0.216^4-d^4)/32
d = 214mm

Obviously this is incorrect but I don't know where I have gone wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
DevonZA said:
Obviously this is incorrect but I don't know where I have gone wrong
Your algebra is all correct, even if it was guesswork. You seem to have gone wrong in the final calculation. If you cannot find the error, post all your steps there.

(You could have canceled the π and the /32 since they occur both sides of the equation.)

1. What is torsion of circular shafts?

Torsion of circular shafts is the twisting or rotational deformation of a circular shaft due to applied torque. It is a common phenomenon in structural engineering and mechanics.

2. What causes torsion in circular shafts?

Torsion is caused by an external force applied to the shaft that creates a twisting moment. This can be due to various reasons such as a motor or engine driving the shaft, or a load being applied to the shaft.

3. How is torsion calculated in circular shafts?

The torsion in a circular shaft can be calculated using the equation T = k * J * φ, where T is the torsion, k is the torsional stiffness of the material, J is the polar moment of inertia of the shaft, and φ is the angle of twist.

4. What are the effects of torsion on circular shafts?

The main effect of torsion on circular shafts is shear stress, which can cause the shaft to deform or fail. It can also cause changes in the shaft's cross-sectional shape and affect its alignment and stability.

5. How can torsion in circular shafts be prevented?

Torsion in circular shafts can be prevented by using materials with high torsional stiffness, designing the shaft with appropriate dimensions and cross-sectional shape, and avoiding excessive torque or loads on the shaft. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help prevent torsion-related failures.