Torsional Spring Force Transfer

In summary, the force transferred along a torsional spring can be calculated using Hooke's law, using theta (angular deflection) and K (spring constant).
ZachGriffin
I'm trying to work out the force transfer along a torsional spring. Using Hooke's law, the opposing force from applying a force to the torsional spring can be calculated using

[tex]\textbf{F} = -\textit{K}\vartheta[/tex]

with theta representing the angular deflection from its equilibrium position and K the spring constant. Using the diagram below I can work out the forces and deflection if I applied a force at the green dots but I can't find a formula anywhere for calculating the force transferred along the beam that I would apply at the red dots. The top part of the digram represents one torsional spring, and the bottom is what I'm trying to do. I assume the formula would be something like

[tex]\textbf{F} = [/tex] Force applied / [tex]\textit{K}[/tex] / Distance (length of the beam)

Any help would be much appreciated

forcetransfer.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zach! :smile:

Sorry, I'm not understanding the question …

transfer of force from where to where?

and a torsional spring stays where it is, and your picture seems to be showing something else. :confused:

Force should be the same all the way along a spring , just as tension is the same all the way along a ("massless") string. :smile:

Hi Tim!

Thanks for replying. What I'm trying to do is simulate the real time flexing of a group of metal tubes (chassis). For processing reasons I can't go into metallurgy algorithms so I'm treating each chassis tube member as a torsional spring. If I had 2 chassis tubes rigidly connected to each other such as in the bottom part of the diagram, and I applied an upward force at the green dot, that tube would bend like a torsion spring and apply a counter force downward depending on the spring rate and deflection. What I'm trying to work out is if those 2 tubes are connected to each other, there would be a moment created at the middle red dot. How would the spring rate effect that moment? I hope that helps you understand what I'm trying to achieve

I too am trying to understand what is being asked, but I don't.

It seems that all forces and torques could be calculated without invoking spring constants, since the sums of forces and torques should be zero ... or am I missing something? Are forces being applied at each of the 3 dots? Is the deflection small compared to the length of the tubes?

1. What is torsional spring force transfer?

Torsional spring force transfer is the transfer of force between two objects through the twisting or rotation of a spring. This type of force transfer is commonly used in mechanical systems to transmit torque or rotational motion between components.

2. How does torsional spring force transfer work?

Torsional spring force transfer works by utilizing the elastic properties of a spring. When a torque is applied to one end of the spring, it will twist or rotate, storing potential energy. This energy can then be transferred to another object by allowing the spring to return to its original shape, exerting a force on the second object.

3. What are some real-world applications of torsional spring force transfer?

Torsional spring force transfer is commonly used in various mechanical systems, such as car suspensions, door hinges, and clocks. It is also used in sports equipment, such as golf clubs and tennis rackets, to transfer force from the player's swing to the ball.

4. What factors affect the strength of torsional spring force transfer?

The strength of torsional spring force transfer depends on several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the amount of torque applied, and the distance between the two objects. The stiffness of the spring, measured by its spring constant, also plays a significant role in determining the strength of the force transfer.

5. Are there any limitations to torsional spring force transfer?

While torsional spring force transfer is a useful mechanism, it does have some limitations. The distance between the two objects must be relatively small for efficient force transfer. Additionally, the spring may lose its elasticity or become permanently deformed over time, reducing its effectiveness. Proper maintenance and regular replacement of worn-out springs can help mitigate these limitations.