What is the Magnitude of Total Acceleration at Point A?

• Thread starter smashbrohamme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, to determine the magnitude of the total acceleration at point A just after 2 revolutions of a disk rotating at Wo=6rad/s with an angular acceleration of 4rad/s², we first find the final angular velocity using the equation W²=Wo²+2(4)(2pie*2) and convert it to revolutions to get W=11.68. Then, using the An=W²r and At=*angularacceleration*r formulas, we find An=204.6 and At=6. By adding these two accelerations in quadrature, we get the total acceleration at point A.
smashbrohamme
Ok you have a disk that is originally rotating at a Wo=6rad/s. The Angular acceleration=4rad/s². Determine the magnitude of the total acceleration (combinaton of An and At) at point A just after 2 revolutions.

The Circle is a 2ft Diameter circle with point A being 1.5ft distance from the center.

Ok first in order to use the total acceleration equations which is An=W²r and At=*angularacceleration*r

you have to find the final angular velocity of this disk.

so you would use the equation W²=Wo²+2(4)(2pie*2) I converted to revolutions using 2pie.

that would give me a W=11.68.

Now that I have a W of the whole wheel, I can simple use the An,At formulas to find the true acceleration at POINT A.

An=(11.68)²*1.5= 204.6 r=1.5 is simply the distance from the center of POINT A right?
At=(4)(1.5)=6 same deal, R is simply 1.5 since it is the distance from the center, or distance of contact with POINT A.

Now you just simply do 204.6²+6²= and square root the answer...

I am making sure I am doing this correctly. Please verify if this is the correct way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're doing fine. And yes, you add the two accelerations in quadrature, because they are right-angle components of the total acceleration.

1. What is total acceleration?

Total acceleration is the sum of all accelerations acting on an object, including both its magnitude and direction.

2. How is total acceleration calculated?

Total acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = √(ax² + ay² + az²), where ax, ay, and az are the accelerations in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. What is the difference between total acceleration and net acceleration?

Total acceleration takes into account all accelerations acting on an object, while net acceleration only considers the overall effect of all forces acting on an object.

4. How does total acceleration affect an object's motion?

Total acceleration determines the rate of change of an object's velocity, and therefore affects its motion by either speeding it up or slowing it down.

5. Can total acceleration be negative?

Yes, total acceleration can be negative if the object is decelerating or changing direction in a way that results in a decrease in velocity over time.