Total Displacement with directions

• Thread starter tinnguyen123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Displacement
In summary, the problem involves a car being driven east for 48 km, north for 26 km, and then in a direction 30° east of north for 28 km. The total displacement and direction can be determined by using vector diagrams and equations such as x=rcos, y=rsin, and arctan(y/x) = theta. The correct solution involves adding the x and y components of the displacement separately, rather than together, and taking into account the direction given (30° from north, not east). This leads to a displacement of 79.8 km and a direction of 39 degrees, rather than 82.5 km and 29 degrees.
tinnguyen123

Homework Statement

A car is driven east for a distance of 48 km, then north for 26 km, and then in a direction 30° east of north for 28 km. Draw the vector diagram and determine the total displacement of the car from its starting point and its direction.

Homework Equations

im not sure.. if i tackle this problem right...
x=rcos
y=rsin

arctan(y/x)= teta

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to find the displacement from (48,26) then add to the (28cos30),(28sin30) which give the final destination point in Cartesian Coordinate.. then i use the distance formula.. but it keep giving me a different answer..

so i got (48+28cos30),(26+28sin30)

then sqrt((48+28cos30)^{2}+(26+28sin30)^{2}) = displacement.. i keep getting 82.5 but the answer is 79.8

and then i use the coordinate to find the dirrection.. but my calc keep giving me 29 degree.. answer is 39

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tinnguyen123! :smile:
tinnguyen123 said:
A car is driven east for a distance of 48 km, then north for 26 km, and then in a direction 30° east of north for 28 km.

so i got (48+28cos30),(26+28sin30)

oops! :redface:

30° east of north means 30° from north :wink:

(so 0° east of north is north, and 90° east of north is east)

(and 90° north of east is north, and 0° north of east is east)

lol omfg >.< thank you.. lame! so its a phi angle..

1. What is total displacement with directions?

Total displacement with directions is a measure of the distance and direction an object has moved from its starting point to its final position. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the displacement.

2. How is total displacement with directions calculated?

Total displacement with directions is calculated by adding all of the individual displacements, taking into account the direction of each displacement. This can be done graphically or mathematically using vector addition.

3. What is the difference between total displacement and distance traveled?

The main difference between total displacement and distance traveled is that total displacement takes into account the direction of the movement, while distance traveled only considers the magnitude of the movement. This means that total displacement can be a negative value if the object moves in the opposite direction of its starting point.

4. Can total displacement with directions be zero?

Yes, total displacement with directions can be zero if the object ends up at the same position as its starting point. This means that the object did not move in any direction from its starting point.

5. How is total displacement with directions represented?

Total displacement with directions is typically represented using a vector, which includes both magnitude and direction. The magnitude is represented by the length of the vector, while the direction is represented by the angle the vector makes with a reference axis.