How Much Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate Remains After Dehydration?

• Thread starter Raza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: I was lost. In summary, if 125 grams of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate is completely dehydrated, then 61 grams of anhydrous magnesium sulfate will remain.
Raza
Hello, I got this really hard question on my chemistry assignment and I don't know where to start; I am completely lost.

If 125g of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate is completely dehydrated, how many grams of anhydrous magnesium sulfate will remain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Raza said:
Hello, I got this really hard question on my chemistry assignment and I don't know where to start; I am completely lost.

If 125g of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate is completely dehydrated, how many grams of anhydrous magnesium sulfate will remain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Do you know the formula for the above mixture ? What does the formula tell you about how much each part contributes to the mass ?

is it Mg2SO3 . 7H2O?

I could probably solve this if I knew what anhydrous meant.

That's not SULPHATE,that's a wrong version of SULPHYTE.You need another formula...

Anhydruous=without water...

Daniel.

I am sorry, I do not get this; could you please rephrase it for me?What's sulfyte?
and what is a difference between dehyration and anhydrate?

Last edited:
Raza said:
I am sorry, I do not get this; could you please rephrase it for me?What's sulfyte?
and what is a difference between dehyration and anhydrate?

[itex]MgSO_{3} [/itex] is MAGNESIUM SULPHYTE and [itex] MgSO_{4} [/itex] is MAGNESIUM SULPHATE.One of them comes from the sulphurous acid,the other from sulphuric acid...

DEHYDRATION=losing water.
ANHYDROUS=without water...

Daniel.

I finally get the question but how do I solve it?
I done this before but with knowing the weight of each elements.

Last edited:
Well,1 mole of [itex] MgSO_{4}\cdot 7 H_{2}O[/itex] has a certain mass...Can u compute it...?How about the mass of 1 mole of [itex] MgSO_{4} [/itex] ??

Daniel.

You can observe the formula and from this find the final mole value of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate; find the molar mass of the compound and then find the realistic mole value using the 125 grams.

You know that for every one mole of the compound, there is 7 moles of H20. This should give you a stoichiometric ratio 7 moles of H20/1 mole of the compound. Convert using this ratio to moles of water. From this mole value, convert to grams of water. Subtract this value from 125, and that should be your answer.

I'd like to help:

mol. wgt of MgS04*7H20 = 246.3
mol.wgt of MgS04 = 120.3

Thus, the ratio of anhydrous/hydrous (without water/with water) = 0.488

Thus, when you remove the water from 125 grams of the hydrate, the remaining is:

125*0.488=61 grams MgSO4 left.

I believe that's right. It's been a while and I don't want to make it worst for you.

Salty

Last edited:
Thank you all, I got how you solve it now.
It seems so easy after you get what is doing on

Related to How Much Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate Remains After Dehydration?

1. What makes a chemistry question "tough"?

A tough chemistry question typically requires a deep understanding of fundamental concepts and theories, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It may also involve complex calculations and multiple steps to arrive at the correct answer.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in chemistry?

Practice is key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills in chemistry. It is important to understand the fundamental concepts and theories, and then solve a variety of problems using different approaches. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

3. Are there any shortcuts for solving tough chemistry questions?

While there may not be specific shortcuts for solving tough chemistry questions, having a thorough understanding of the concepts and formulas can make the problem-solving process more efficient. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps can also be helpful.

4. What resources can I use to help me with tough chemistry questions?

There are many resources available to help with tough chemistry questions, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

5. How important is understanding chemical reactions in solving tough chemistry questions?

Understanding chemical reactions is crucial in solving tough chemistry questions. Many tough questions involve manipulating chemical equations and understanding the relationship between reactants and products. Without a solid understanding of chemical reactions, it can be difficult to solve these types of questions accurately.