1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough exponential integral (QM, Variational Principle)

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/224/32665300.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2920/scan0003xo.jpg [Broken]

I've uploaded my work so far since its much faster than typing and I'm stuck on the last line trying to solve the integral.
    The first part of the integral is calculable but the second term(containing [itex]V_{0}[/itex]) doesn't evaluate with Maple or Wolfram.
    On the question sheet it gives the hint that [itex]\int dx x^{n} e^{-\alpha x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{n!}{\alpha^{n+1}}[/itex] which leads me to rearrange the 2nd term to -2[itex]V_{0}[/itex][itex]\alpha[/itex]a*[itex]e^{r\frac{(-1-2\alpha a)}{a}}[/itex]*[itex]r^{-1}[/itex]
    According to the tip, [itex]\int e^{r\frac{(-1-2\alpha a)}{a}}[/itex]*[itex]r^{-1}[/itex] is equal to [itex]\frac{(-1)!}{\frac{(-1-2\alpha a)}{a}^{-1+1}}[/itex] which is just -1.
    This doesn't seem to match up with the given Hamiltonian on the problem set so I'm asking for some extra help on this,

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to start over from the beginning. You need to integrate over all three dimensions, not just over r. Also, don't forget to use the correct volume element for spherical coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook