Tracking Encoder and Component Slippage

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to improve the angular repeat-ability and reliability of measurement devices through research and utilizing alternative forms of measurement. This involves adding a sensor to existing and future fixtures to map and compensate for errors. The issue of misalignment between the sensor and encoder is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a rotary version of the linear mechanism shown in an image for improved accuracy.
Muthana Gubran
Trying to identify a method of improving angular repeat-ability and reliability of our measurement devices. The way this will be done, is by doing research and utilize an alternative form of measurement and detection.
This method will involves adding a sensor to the existing fixtures and future fixtures, that may help reproduce an outcome of unchanged conditions. When doing so an error can be mapped and compensated for.

Issue: Unknown “slip” or misalignment between sensor actual position and encoder.

Trying to improve the Testing Accuracy and repeat-ability.

There is a fixture that holds everything in place.The component is connected to the shaft and the face of the fixture, and the shaft connected to the encoder.

I attached the picture of the component. Any idea what I should do ?
Note the metal on the component rotates to a certain degree, and has to meet in between a certain angle.
Capture.PNG

I wanted to connect a sensor outside of the fixture, that may map an angular position. Is there anything I need to know. I want to gain more knowledge on what technique I should use.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

It sounds like this is a class project for you at school, so we will try to offer hints and ask questions, so that you can do the bulk of the work.

Have you seen rotary versions of the mechanism used in this linear device (which has excellent resolution and repeatability):

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61e0PSGmqqL._SX522_.jpg
61e0PSGmqqL._SX522_.jpg

Likes Tolklein

Related to Tracking Encoder and Component Slippage

1. What is a tracking encoder?

A tracking encoder is a device used to track the position or movement of an object. It typically consists of a sensor, which detects the movement, and a code wheel or strip, which translates the movement into digital signals. Tracking encoders are commonly used in robotics, industrial machinery, and other applications where precise tracking is necessary.

2. How does a tracking encoder work?

A tracking encoder works by using a sensor to detect movement and a code wheel or strip to translate the movement into digital signals. The code wheel or strip has a pattern of lines or marks that correspond to specific positions or movements. As the code wheel or strip rotates or moves, the sensor detects the changes in the pattern and converts them into digital signals that can be interpreted by a computer or other device.

3. What is component slippage?

Component slippage refers to the movement or displacement of a component from its intended position. This can occur due to various reasons such as vibrations, external forces, or wear and tear. In the context of tracking encoders, component slippage can lead to inaccurate tracking and affect the overall performance of the system.

4. How can component slippage be prevented?

Component slippage can be prevented by ensuring proper installation and alignment of the tracking encoder components. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help identify any potential issues and prevent component slippage. Additionally, using high-quality and durable tracking encoder components can also reduce the risk of slippage.

5. Can component slippage be corrected?

Yes, component slippage can be corrected by realigning or repositioning the affected component. In some cases, replacing worn or damaged components may also be necessary. It is important to address component slippage as soon as it is detected to avoid any further complications or inaccuracies in tracking.