Tracking Spread of a water jet out of a downward-facing pipe

In summary, the radius of spread is difficult to calculate using the information given. It could be treated as a projectile, or an expansion into a pipe of known diameter. Monday's demonstration will help to determine the accuracy of the given information.
Charles Winston
Hey folks, I'm back with a new question.

If I have a pipe of known diameter, with a known volume of water at a known pressure discharging downwards into atmosphere, how can I calculate the radius of its "spread". That is, how can I find what area beneath the discharging pipe is being covered with water?

A simplified, idealized model, along with a more complicated derivative would be equally appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Winston said:
Hey folks, I'm back with a new question.

If I have a pipe of known diameter, with a known volume of water at a known pressure discharging downwards into atmosphere, how can I calculate the radius of its "spread". That is, how can I find what area beneath the discharging pipe is being covered with water?

A simplified, idealized model, along with a more complicated derivative would be equally appreciated.

Thanks!
What are your thoughts on this so far? Is this a homework problem?

So far I've tackled it a few different ways.

First approach is to model it as an expansion into a pipe of diameter equal to the desired coverage, but I'm thinking that methodology is flawed. Essentially, Q1*A1 = Q2*A2.

Second is to examine the system in two dimensions, but I've yet to be able to track down equations or any sources for it. Entirely possible I just don't know what I'm looking for.

I've also tried to treat it as a projectile, but tracking that in two dimensions for a fluid is somewhat tricky.

This part of a company project, but just one step out of a dozen or so.

Are you sure that it spreads rather than converging?

I can't be sure, but the outlet diameter is 3/4" with a flow rate of 350 gpm. Pressure unknown, but above atmospheric. Would a stream in those conditions behave like, say, a running faucet (i.e. converge) or spread? This I'm not sure of.

On Monday I'm going to have a demonstration of the flow pattern, but it would be difficult from that to determine with any degree of certainty what its spread would be, as the water is at around 180°F.

Charles Winston said:
I can't be sure, but the outlet diameter is 3/4" with a flow rate of 350 gpm. Pressure unknown, but above atmospheric. Would a stream in those conditions behave like, say, a running faucet (i.e. converge) or spread? This I'm not sure of.

On Monday I'm going to have a demonstration of the flow pattern, but it would be difficult from that to determine with any degree of certainty what its spread would be, as the water is at around 180°F.
According to this, it's traveling at extremely high speed, 260 ft/sec. Is this about what you were expecting?

I hope that the audience is well separated / shielded from that water jet. The velocity pressure is over 450 PSI, and if such a jet hit somebody, it would (not could) kill them.

You could try treating it as a projectile. A cylinder of water at a velocity, subject to gravity and air drag along the sides. Ignore air drag on the leading and trailing ends. I expect that gravity force will be small compare to aerodynamic drag, and that the air drag will explain why spray comes off the sides. But that's just a guess. I have not done any calculations. And I'd like to know how it turns out. Can you get us a photo?

Chestermiller said:
According to this, it's traveling at extremely high speed, 260 ft/sec. Is this about what you were expecting?
In all honesty, I've got reason to suspect that these stated/given values might not be accurate.

Monday in addition to a physical demonstration, I'll be taking an ultrasonic sensor to the pipe bank to get the flow. There's no infrastructure for that in place currently.

jrmichler said:
I hope that the audience is well separated / shielded from that water jet. The velocity pressure is over 450 PSI, and if such a jet hit somebody, it would (not could) kill them.

I'll be sure to get pictures, maybe even with a thermographic camera!

Thank you for the drag consideration. That's out of my expertise. I'll be looking into that.

Related to Tracking Spread of a water jet out of a downward-facing pipe

1. How is the spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe tracked?

The spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe can be tracked using various methods such as flow visualization techniques, particle image velocimetry, and laser Doppler anemometry. These techniques allow researchers to measure the velocity, direction, and turbulence of the water jet.

2. What factors affect the spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe?

The spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe is affected by several factors including the velocity of the water, the diameter of the pipe, the angle at which the water is released, and the properties of the surrounding environment such as air pressure and temperature.

3. Why is it important to track the spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe?

Tracking the spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe is essential for understanding fluid dynamics and optimizing industrial processes such as spray painting, irrigation, and fire suppression. It also helps in predicting the trajectory of pollutants and contaminants in water bodies.

4. What are some potential applications of studying the spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe?

The study of the spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe has various practical applications, including improving the efficiency of hydraulic systems, designing more effective water jets for cleaning and cutting, and understanding the dispersion of pollutants in water bodies.

5. What are the limitations of tracking the spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe?

Some limitations of tracking the spread of a water jet from a downward-facing pipe include the complexity of fluid dynamics, the potential for errors in measurement techniques, and the difficulty in replicating real-world conditions in laboratory experiments. Additionally, the behavior of the water jet may vary depending on the specific conditions and properties of the fluid being used.