1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer function of Op-Amp circuit

1. May 6, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hello,

I am working on this previous final exam question. I am totally stumped with getting my answer with frequency. I believe my answer is correct with impedance, but I am having a hard time changing this to ω

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

Here is my attempt on the top circuit
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399359300.379890.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399359315.616875.jpg

4. May 6, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming you made no math errors (your first 3 equations are correct), what's the problem? You have w in your gain expression.

5. May 6, 2014 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

I have to clean up that expression and it really sucks to do that!

I need to put it into a standard form incase I need to make a bode plot

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  6. May 6, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bode plot? OK, have you been introduced to the Laplace transform? If so, replace jw by s and therefore -w^2 by s^2. Do that with your last expression (I assume you did the math correctly). Then I can help you with your bode plot.

7. May 6, 2014 #6

Maylis

Gold Member

I haven't learned Laplace transforms, we always made the plots in the frequency domain

8. May 6, 2014 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just FYI, I think teaching Bode plots without the s variable is cuckoo.

BUT - you're stuck, so:

1. don't multiply by comlex-conjugates as you did in the last line of your sheet 1.
    2. (1/jwC1)/R1 + 1 = 1/jwR1C1 + 1 = (jwR1C1 + 1)/jwR1C1
    Then the remaining terms are suitable for Bode plotting. Do not go (jw)^2 = -w^2. Leave everything in terms of jw. Your transfer function will always be a function of jw.

EDIT: wait, you have to multiply numerators and denominators by jw until you don't have jw in any denominator of any fraction.

9. May 6, 2014 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since your transfer function is always a function of jw you can substitute s=jw and get rid of all complex numbers. You don't have to have "had" the Laplace transform. It's just a simple substitution that they should have taught you.

And BTW s is a frequency variable. A transfer function is always in terms of a frequency variable unless it's just a constant gain.

10. May 10, 2014 #9

Maylis

Gold Member

Here is where I am so far. I don't know how this is suitable for a bode plot yet.

I am confused, to make the bode plots, is the idea that the numerator is in terms of jw, and the denominator is all real?

11. May 10, 2014 #10

Maylis

Gold Member

12. May 10, 2014 #11

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.
    Example: a simple R-C low-pass network has transfer function 1/(1 + jwRC). That surely is easy to Bode-plot. But if you wrote (1 - jwRC)/[1 + (wRC)^2] you'd be all messed up.

Leave everything in jw as much as possible.

Again, what you should really do is change all jw to s but if they didn't teach you that I guess you'd better hold off. Personally I can't imagine doing Bode plots without that transformation. You don't even need to have had the Laplace transform.

13. May 10, 2014 #12

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't want the 1/jwC2 in the numerator. Multiply num & denom by jwC2 to get rid of it.

14. May 10, 2014 #13

Maylis

Gold Member

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399777817.270796.jpg

here is my latest work. Now I am running into the problem that I don't have enough cycles on my semilog plot (given on the exam) to put everything in there!! that jω pole should go through ω=1. However, my critical values for ω are at 10^10, and 5x10^8. There are not enough cycles to fit that range of frequencies!

15. May 10, 2014 #14

Maylis

Gold Member

I just put bode plots on my regular scratch paper. I'm sure the spacing is way off

Magnitude
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399779238.600629.jpg

Phase
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399779359.578791.jpg

16. May 10, 2014 #15

Maylis

Gold Member

I did the bottom circuit, this one seems to be a lot easier. That one switch of a capacitor and resistor makes all the difference huh??

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399780295.562625.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399780316.833029.jpg

17. May 11, 2014 #16

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

going thru w=1 is not necessary. in fact, it makes no sense per se. you have plenty of cycles along the x axis. You now nearly have the right form for doing the Bode plots, assuming no math slipups along the way. Just one more change: multiply num. & denom. by w1*w2 to get H(jw) = (1e10*w1/w2)(jw+w1)/[(jw)(jw+w2)].

Now, pick an w << 5e8, say w=1e7. Calculate |H(jw)| at that freq. & plot it. Note that at w=1e7 your |H(jw)| simplifies to ~ 1e10/1e7 = 1e3. Let w=1e7 be the origin along the x axis, then mark off w=1e8, 1e9, 1e10, 1e11, 1e12. That's a total of just 5 decades. Now you're ready to finish the gain Bode plot, right?

Remember, I did not check your math. Make sure w1 and w2 are what you computed, and that they're not swapped in value.

18. May 11, 2014 #17

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This actually looks good for the gain plot except there is no flat section on the left. There is nothing magic about w=1!

The phase plot looks bad though. The phase angle is -90 solid until w=5e8, then goes even more negative before returning back to eventually settle at -90 for very high frequencies (say w=1e11).
    I'll let you determine the break angles. Note the correspondence between the gain slopes and the phase angles.

19. May 11, 2014 #18

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

A lot of algebra is involved. Being a sketch, perhaps the intention is that you separately sketch each first-order low-pass Bode plot, then add them graphically? Are you given the element values before being asked to sketch the Bode plot?

Those capacitor values are in femto-Farads?

20. May 11, 2014 #19

Maylis

Gold Member

Yes those are femtofarads. We were given values to make the bode plot

21. May 11, 2014 #20

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since youi're only allowed 4 decades on your log paper, mark the x axis as 1e7 (origin), 1e8, 1e9, 1e10 so 1e11 is the extreme right-hand frequency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted