1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation problem

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    Please help me solve this question:
    Question: Find the images of the lines r = i - j + n(i + j + k) under transformation
    M (matrix 3 x 3) =
    (2 1 4)
    (3 5 1)
    (1 2 0)
    in vector form.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The image under the transformation is just that matrix times the vector? But what is n? My first thought was that it was the parameter but then that is just a single line. If that is correct then r= i- j+ n(i+ j+ k)= (n+1)i+ (n-1)j+ nk and its image is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc}2 & 1 & 4 \\ 3 & 5 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 & 0\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} n+1 \\ n-1 \\ n\end{array}\right][/tex]

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3
    Thank you. There is some confusion here. I am confuse when to use inverse matrix to find transformation. Can you explain this. Example : 1. Find the images under the transformation

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. Aug 7, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by that. You use the inverse matrix in order to find an "inverse image": x such that Mx= y. Given a matrix M, the image of x is, by definition Mx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?