Transformer and watt or VA relation?

In summary, the question is asking if a 15kva transformer can handle 10 split air conditioners, each with a power factor of 1.5, which would equal 15kw. Theoretically, the transformer can handle this load. However, if 5 more air conditioners were added, the total power factor would be less than 1, meaning the transformer may not be able to handle the load. This is due to the difference between kva and kw caused by power factor.
neduet
Hi friends
it is not ( problem or numerical) just i want know

friends if i have 15kva transformer .
then can i say it can carry 1500 watt 10 (split AIR conditioners) as a load.
and what happened if i add 5 more (split AIR conditioners) in same case. just give me idea please.theoreticallyAdditional Details
15kva transformer is step-down give 220 volt r.m.s output and
AIR conditioners (a.c)(with common power factor) also can operate on 220 volt or 1500 watt each.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No! Because:

Str should be greater than Pl/PF

However:
Str = 15 KVA
Pl = 10 X 1.5 = 15 KW
PF <1

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

m.s.j said:
No! Because:

Str should be greater than Pl/PF

However:
Str = 15 KVA
Pl = 10 X 1.5 = 15 KW
PF <1

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Sir please explain more for me. if you can...
i can't understand this.

thanks a lot

sorry! I can not.

I would say you can because the odds of all 10 being on at the same time are low. That's called "diversity".

M.S.J.'s point, though, was that the difference between kva and kw is power factor. Because of power factor, a reactive load draws a higher kva than kw.

What is the difference between watts and VA in relation to transformers?

Watts and VA are both units of power, but they measure different aspects of power. Watts measure the actual power consumed by a device, while VA (volt-amperes) measure the apparent power flowing through a device. This means that VA takes into account the reactive power, or power that is used to maintain magnetic fields, while watts only measure the active power, or power that is actually doing work.

How do I convert watts to VA?

To convert watts to VA, you need to know the power factor of the device. The formula for converting watts to VA is VA = watts / power factor. For example, if a device has a power factor of 0.8 and consumes 100 watts, the VA would be 100 / 0.8 = 125 VA.

Why is the ratio of VA to watts important in transformer design?

The VA to watts ratio, also known as the power factor, is important in transformer design because it determines the size and capacity of the transformer. Transformers are designed to handle a certain amount of VA, and if the power factor is low, the transformer may not be able to handle the full power load even if the watts are within its capacity.

Can a transformer have a power factor greater than 1?

No, a transformer cannot have a power factor greater than 1. This is because power factor is a ratio of watts to VA, and VA is always equal to or greater than watts. A power factor of 1 means that the VA and watts are equal, and a power factor greater than 1 would mean that the VA is greater than the watts, which is not possible.

How does the power factor affect energy efficiency in transformers?

A higher power factor means that the reactive power is lower, resulting in a more efficient use of energy. This is because reactive power does not do any actual work, so a lower power factor means that more energy is being wasted. Therefore, transformers with a higher power factor are more energy efficient.