Where Can I Find a Simple Guide to Transformer Design?

In summary, the best guide for basic transformer design is the "transformer design.." book. It is a very nice book and would be a good starting point for anyone looking to learn more about transformer design.
mfc5200
Does anyone know of a good link to basic transformer design? I keep seeing the standard equations but they don't seem like much help. I can't seem to find any good guides for designing the most basic transformer

For example, I will see equations relating the ratio of turns to the ratio of voltages, but does that mean I can go from 1 turn to 2 turns instead of 100 turns to 200 turns? I don't think that is the case.

Again, a most basic guide would be good, one that assumes no losses, etc is fine.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, there's still going to be maths but the PDF (Part 3, chapter 14) gives you some good transformer design concepts.
http://ecee.colorado.edu/~pwrelect/book/slides/slidedir.html"

Edit: After rereading your post, maybe this chapter is a bit complicated?

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, yea I actually find those slides when google searching, but they seem a little too complicated for me (I'm a M.E.). I was hoping for some really basic design slides.

An analogy in fluid mechanics would be to assume no losses with the fluid being isentropic, you can start with that, and then later fine tune your solution to take into account viscous drag, etc etc.

So far the best I've found is this, with regard to basic design.

http://ludens.cl/Electron/Magnet.html

I think I might have figured out my problem is though. Perhaps I will post later as to what the problem is, and what I think the solution is and why.

Thanks for your help.

mfc5200 said:
haha, yea I actually find those slides when google searching, but they seem a little too complicated for me (I'm a M.E.). I was hoping for some really basic design slides.

An analogy in fluid mechanics would be to assume no losses with the fluid being isentropic, you can start with that, and then later fine tune your solution to take into account viscous drag, etc etc.

So far the best I've found is this, with regard to basic design.

http://ludens.cl/Electron/Magnet.html

I think I might have figured out my problem is though. Perhaps I will post later as to what the problem is, and what I think the solution is and why.

Thanks for your help.

The wikipedia page on transformers is a reasonable intro:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

As for the number of turns, you need enough turns for the magnetizing inductance to present a reasonable impedance to the driving voltage source, and you don't want so many turns that the wire resistance or the leakage inductance or the winding capacitance become large and obnoxious.

Transformer design is an art as much as a science. Between keeping up with materials, processes, cost, and the fundamentals, you're better off finding a designer. I live in the Dallas area, and there's a thriving community of these guys. I suspect any land of invention will have some transformer houses.

You can refer "transformer design.." book.
By M.G.Say.its very nice book.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a transformer design reference?

A transformer design reference is a guide or set of guidelines for designing electrical transformers. It includes information on the basic principles of transformer design, as well as calculations, equations, and specifications for different types of transformers.

2. Why is a transformer design reference important?

A transformer design reference is important because it ensures that the transformer is designed correctly and meets the required specifications. It also helps to optimize the transformer's performance, efficiency, and reliability.

3. What factors are considered when designing a transformer?

When designing a transformer, factors such as voltage, current, power, frequency, and load requirements are taken into consideration. Other factors include the type of core material, number of turns, and winding configuration.

4. How do you choose the right transformer design reference?

The right transformer design reference should be chosen based on the specific application and requirements of the transformer. It should also be from a reliable source and updated with the latest industry standards and regulations.

5. Can a transformer design reference be used for all types of transformers?

No, different types of transformers may have different design considerations and specifications. It is important to choose a transformer design reference that is appropriate for the specific type of transformer being designed.