Transformers Turn ratio versus Impedence ratio

In summary, the turn ratio of an ideal transformer must be the square root of the impedence ratio to achieve maximum power efficiency. However, if this ratio is not true, the equivalent resistance in the primary circuit will result in lower power in the secondary circuit. This can be modeled by an equivalent circuit and analyzed to find the power dissipation.
Hollumber
Hello,

This is my first post, so I hope this is in the right section and format.

I've looked all over the web, but I can't find anything that addresses my question clearly.

I know that for an ideal transformer to not lose any power, the turn ratio has to be the square root of the impedence ratio. My question is what happens when this is not the case? I would think the voltage and current ratios wouldn't be affected because of the nature of a transformer, but this means that one of the impedences would have to magically change to match to I and V on its respective side.

Basically, if (NP/NS)^2 = RP/RS for max power efficiency, what happens when this isn't true?

Thanks in advance,
Hollumber

Physics news on Phys.org
After researching this so much, I finally realized where I was going wrong.

(NP/NS)^2 = RP/RS is used to calculate the turn ratio of the transformer to get max power to the load resistor (RS).

If this ratio doesn't hold true, then Req = RS(NP/NS)^2, where Req is the equivalent resistance that the primary circuit (which includes the voltage source) will experience, resulting in lower power in the secondary circuit (containing the load resistor).

You can think of it in terms of an equivalent circuit. Losses can be modeled by an equivalent resistance in series with (or in parallel across) the secondary of an ideal transformer. The transformer impedance ratio is still the square of the turns ratio. The power dissipation can be found by analyzing the behavior of the entire circuit, including the source and its internal resistance, the transformer (ideal transformer plus loss resistance), and the load circuit. I and V across the ideal transformer element still have the ideal ratio, but some of the power is dissipated in the loss resistance and doesn't make it into the load.

1. What is the difference between transformer turn ratio and impedance ratio?

The transformer turn ratio refers to the ratio of the number of turns in the primary winding to the number of turns in the secondary winding of a transformer. On the other hand, the impedance ratio is the ratio of the primary winding's impedance to the secondary winding's impedance.

2. How does the turn ratio affect the impedance ratio of a transformer?

The turn ratio and impedance ratio of a transformer are directly proportional. This means that if the turn ratio increases, the impedance ratio also increases and vice versa. This relationship is due to the fact that the number of turns in a transformer affects its impedance.

3. What is the significance of transformer turn ratio and impedance ratio?

The turn ratio and impedance ratio of a transformer are important because they determine the voltage and current levels in the primary and secondary windings. These ratios also affect the efficiency and power handling capability of a transformer.

4. How do you calculate the turn ratio and impedance ratio of a transformer?

The turn ratio is calculated by dividing the number of turns in the primary winding by the number of turns in the secondary winding. The impedance ratio is calculated by dividing the impedance of the primary winding by the impedance of the secondary winding.

5. Can the turn ratio and impedance ratio of a transformer be changed?

Yes, the turn ratio and impedance ratio of a transformer can be changed by altering the number of turns in the primary and secondary windings or by using different materials for the windings. However, this should only be done by trained professionals as it can significantly affect the performance and safety of the transformer.