Transforming divergence from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates

Then you should be able to simplify it to the cylindrical expression. In summary, to transform the expression for divergence in Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates, you first need to use the chain rule to find the partial derivatives of F_x and F_y with respect to rho and theta. Then, substitute these into the Cartesian expression for divergence and simplify to obtain the expression in cylindrical coordinates.
jaejoon89

Homework Statement

Compute the divergence in cylindrical coordinates by transforming the expression for divergence in cartestian coordinates.

Homework Equations

F = F_x i + F_y j + F_z k
div F = ∂F_x/∂x + ∂F_y/∂y + ∂F_z/∂z ... (divergence in Cartesian coordinates)

I need to transform this into

divF = (1/rho)(∂(rho*F_rho)/∂rho) + (1/rho)(∂F_theta/∂theta) + ∂F_z/∂z ... (divergence in cylindrical coordinates)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the chain rule,
∂F_x/∂x = (∂F_x/∂rho)(∂rho/∂x) + (∂F_x/∂theta)(∂theta/∂x) + (∂F_x/∂z)(∂z/∂x)
∂F_y/∂y = (∂F_y/∂rho)(∂rho/∂y) + (∂F_y/∂theta)(∂theta/∂y) + (∂F_y/∂z)(∂z/∂y)
∂F_z/∂z = (∂F_z/∂rho)(∂rho/∂z) + (∂F_z/∂theta)(∂theta/∂z) + (∂F_z/∂z)(∂z/∂z)

∂rho/∂x = x/∂ = costheta
∂theta/∂x = -y/rho^2 = -sintheta/rho
∂z/∂x = 0
∂rho/∂y = y/∂ = sintheta
etc. (these are the transformational equations)

Then I try inputing this into the cartesian definition for divergence and obtain
divF = [(∂F_x/∂rho)costheta + (∂F_x/∂theta)(-sintheta/rho)] + [(∂F_y/∂rho)sintheta + (∂F_y/∂theta)(costheta/rho)] + ∂F_z/∂z

But how does that simplify to the expression in cylindrical coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
any 1 here pleasezzzzzzzzzzzzz. solve this!
i also need divergence in spherical!

jaejoon89 said:

Homework Statement

Compute the divergence in cylindrical coordinates by transforming the expression for divergence in cartestian coordinates.

Homework Equations

F = F_x i + F_y j + F_z k
div F = ∂F_x/∂x + ∂F_y/∂y + ∂F_z/∂z ... (divergence in Cartesian coordinates)

I need to transform this into

divF = (1/rho)(∂(rho*F_rho)/∂rho) + (1/rho)(∂F_theta/∂theta) + ∂F_z/∂z ... (divergence in cylindrical coordinates)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the chain rule,
∂F_x/∂x = (∂F_x/∂rho)(∂rho/∂x) + (∂F_x/∂theta)(∂theta/∂x) + (∂F_x/∂z)(∂z/∂x)
∂F_y/∂y = (∂F_y/∂rho)(∂rho/∂y) + (∂F_y/∂theta)(∂theta/∂y) + (∂F_y/∂z)(∂z/∂y)
∂F_z/∂z = (∂F_z/∂rho)(∂rho/∂z) + (∂F_z/∂theta)(∂theta/∂z) + (∂F_z/∂z)(∂z/∂z)

∂rho/∂x = x/∂ = costheta[/math]
∂theta/∂x = -y/rho^2 = -sintheta/rho
∂z/∂x = 0
∂rho/∂y = y/∂ = sintheta
etc. (these are the transformational equations)

Then I try inputing this into the cartesian definition for divergence and obtain
divF = [(∂F_x/∂rho)costheta + (∂F_x/∂theta)(-sintheta/rho)] + [(∂F_y/∂rho)sintheta + (∂F_y/∂theta)(costheta/rho)] + ∂F_z/∂z

You haven't said anything about what [itex]F_\rho[/itex] and [itex]F_\theta[/itex] are in terms of [itex]F_x[/itex] and [itex]F_y[/itex].

lets assume that fx=f_rho*cos(theta)-f_theta*sin(theta)
fy=f_rho*sin(theta)+f_theta*cos(theta)

oooh, this is all virtually unreadable :rolleyes:

can everybody please use the usual symbols? … :smile:

ok
fx=fρ*cosφ-fφ*sinφ
fy=fρ*sinφ+fφ*cosφ

Nay 1 here pleaseeeeeeeeeee solve this
i need it badly!

dibya said:
lets assume that fx=f_rho*cos(theta)-f_theta*sin(theta)
fy=f_rho*sin(theta)+f_theta*cos(theta)

Okay, then
[tex]\frac{\partial f_x}{\partial\rho}=\frac{\partial}{\partial\rho}(f_\rho\cos\theta-f_\theta\sin\theta)=\frac{\partial f_\rho}{\partial\rho}\cos\theta-\frac{\partial f_\theta}{\partial\rho}\sin\theta[/tex]

Right?
jaejoon89 said:

Calculate [tex]\frac{\partial f_y}{\partial\rho}[/tex], [tex]\frac{\partial f_x}{\partial\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial f_y}{\partial\theta}[/tex] the same way and substitute them all into this expression.

1. What is the formula for converting divergence from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for converting divergence from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates is ∇ · F = (1/r) (∂(rFr)/∂r + ∂Fθ/∂θ + ∂Fz/∂z), where F is a vector field in cylindrical coordinates.

2. Why is it important to be able to convert divergence from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates?

Converting divergence from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates is important because it allows us to work with vector fields in different coordinate systems, which can be useful for solving various physical problems. It also allows us to simplify calculations and make them more intuitive in certain cases.

3. Can divergence be negative in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, divergence can be negative in cylindrical coordinates. This happens when the vector field is expanding in one direction and contracting in another, resulting in a net decrease in the magnitude of the vector field.

4. What is the physical interpretation of divergence in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, divergence represents the net flow of a vector field out of a closed surface. Positive divergence indicates a net outflow, while negative divergence indicates a net inflow.

5. Are there any limitations to converting divergence from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates?

One limitation is that not all vector fields can be easily represented in cylindrical coordinates. Additionally, the conversion may become more complicated in higher dimensions or when dealing with more complex vector fields. It is also important to keep in mind the limitations of cylindrical coordinates themselves, such as singularities at the origin and difficulty in dealing with boundary conditions.