1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Transient analysis (RC) question problem

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    hello friends....

i am having following problem in this question.

first i dont understand how they have calculated R equivalent=5/6.i think its value should be 25Kohms. will it be different at 1ms and 4ms or same ????\\

i shall be thanks to u .
    in one picture is the problem n in other is solution itself.

manish.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2
    Yes, it is different before 1 ms and after that, because switch is opened at 1ms. At t=0, the voltage source becomes dead (i.e., it will be short circuited) and so the capacitor sees three resistors connected in parallel to it (effectively it is 5/6 kohm). But at t=1 ms switch is opened, the capacitor thereafter sees only one resistor (25kohm) connected to it.

4. Jun 5, 2010 #3
    thanks for the reply sir, you have solved my problem.
    why is the voltage source dead at t=0. ????

i m also confused with two differet time values..

v(t)=25.e^-2000t for 0<t<1ms.

tell me something about this equation....

5. Jun 5, 2010 #4
    Because of the unit step function u(-t). Remember u(-t) is 1 for all t<=0 and is equal to zero for t>0.
    Upto t=0, the voltage source is active and at t>0, capacitor starts discharging to all three resistors (the above equation is valid), but at t=1ms switch is opened and so after that capacitor discharges only through 25kohm.

6. Jun 6, 2010 #5
    after seeing such a marvellous reply , it came to my mouth ,wow !!!

thanks friend , u have helped me a lot.:smile:

7. Jun 6, 2010 #6
    CAN u provied me some pdf files on study on transient analysis ?.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook