Transient analysis (RC) question problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating R equivalent and its value at different time values. The solution involves the voltage source becoming dead at t=0 and the capacitor discharging through three resistors until t=1ms when the switch is opened and it discharges through one resistor. The conversation ends with a request for PDF files on transient analysis.
munna007
hello friends...

i am having following problem in this question.

first i don't understand how they have calculated R equivalent=5/6.i think its value should be 25Kohms. will it be different at 1ms and 4ms or same ?\\

i shall be thanks to u .
in one picture is the problem n in other is solution itself.

manish.

Attachments

• DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 516
  • DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
munna007 said:
first i don't understand how they have calculated R equivalent=5/6.i think its value should be 25Kohms. will it be different at 1ms and 4ms or same ?

Yes, it is different before 1 ms and after that, because switch is opened at 1ms. At t=0, the voltage source becomes dead (i.e., it will be short circuited) and so the capacitor sees three resistors connected in parallel to it (effectively it is 5/6 kohm). But at t=1 ms switch is opened, the capacitor thereafter sees only one resistor (25kohm) connected to it.

thanks for the reply sir, you have solved my problem.
why is the voltage source dead at t=0. ?i m also confused with two differet time values..

v(t)=25.e^-2000t for 0<t<1ms.

tell me something about this equation...

munna007 said:
why is the voltage source dead at t=0. ?
Because of the unit step function u(-t). Remember u(-t) is 1 for all t<=0 and is equal to zero for t>0.
munna007 said:
i m also confused with two different time values..

v(t)=25.e^-2000t for 0<t<1ms.

Upto t=0, the voltage source is active and at t>0, capacitor starts discharging to all three resistors (the above equation is valid), but at t=1ms switch is opened and so after that capacitor discharges only through 25kohm.

after seeing such a marvellous reply , it came to my mouth ,wow !

thanks friend , u have helped me a lot.:smile:

CAN u provied me some pdf files on study on transient analysis ?.

1. What is transient analysis in RC circuits?

Transient analysis in RC circuits is a method used to analyze the behavior of a circuit when it is first turned on or off. It helps in understanding how the current and voltage in the circuit changes over time.

2. What is the purpose of transient analysis in RC circuits?

The purpose of transient analysis in RC circuits is to model the behavior of the circuit during the transition from one steady state to another. This helps in predicting the performance of the circuit and identifying any potential issues.

3. How is transient analysis performed in RC circuits?

Transient analysis in RC circuits is performed by solving the differential equations that describe the circuit using mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms or time-domain analysis. This allows us to determine the current and voltage at any point in time.

4. What are the key components of an RC circuit that affect transient analysis?

The key components that affect transient analysis in an RC circuit are the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values, as well as the input voltage or current source. These components determine the time constant of the circuit, which is crucial in understanding the transient behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of transient analysis in RC circuits?

Transient analysis in RC circuits is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones to ensure proper functioning of the circuit during power-up or power-down. It is also used in power systems to analyze the response of a circuit during sudden changes in load or in the event of a fault.