Help with Translational Motion Homework

Homework EquationsIa/r2 = Iαa = αrThe Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, the person is seeking help to determine the formula for decelerating the translational motion of a roller. They know the total frictional force required to stop the roller and the formula for decelerating rotary motion, but are unsure of the formula for decelerating translational motion.
Jane1948

Homework Statement

I know the total frictional force required to stop a roller is 145 N, I know the frictional force required to decelerate rotary motion is Ia/r2. But I don't know the formula to decelerate translational motion of the roller. Help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Deceleratin is just acceleration with a negative acceleration!

Welcome to PF!

Jane1948 said:

Homework Statement

I know the total frictional force required to stop a roller is 145 N, I know the frictional force required to decelerate rotary motion is Ia/r2. But I don't know the formula to decelerate translational motion of the roller. Help!

Hi Jane1948! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(:wink: And happy 60th birthday? :wink:)

What sort of roller is this?

Is this a groundsman's roller, that works much like a wheelbarrow?

If so, I don't see where the friction comes in, since rolling things (without slipping) shouldn't be slowed down by friction with the ground. :confused:

What is translational motion?

Translational motion is the movement of an object from one point in space to another, without any rotation or change in orientation.

What are some examples of translational motion?

Examples of translational motion include a car driving down a straight road, a ball rolling across a flat surface, and a person walking in a straight line.

What is the difference between translational motion and rotational motion?

The main difference between translational motion and rotational motion is that translational motion involves movement from one point to another in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis or pivot point.

How is translational motion measured?

Translational motion can be measured using various units such as meters, feet, or kilometers, depending on the scale of the movement. It can also be measured using velocity, which is the rate of change in position over time.

What factors affect translational motion?

The factors that affect translational motion include the mass of the object, the force applied to it, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The shape and surface of the object can also affect its motion.