Transverse Wave oscillator Problem

In summary, the tension in the string will cause the transverse waves to propagate at a speed of 334.6 meters per second.
Ginny Mac
Here is a transverse wave problem:

Consider transverse waves moving along a stretched spring fixed to an oscillator. Suppose the mass of the spring is 10 grams, its relaxed (not stretched) length is 1.00 meters, and its spring constant (if stretched) is 5.0 N/cm. The spring is tensioned via a pulley wheel and a hanging weight. The final length of the stretched spring is 1.50 meters (from the oscillator to the weight). How fast will transverse waves propogate along the stretched spring?

I am using v= square root of:(tension over mass density)
Initial mass density: 0.01 kg/1.00 m = 0.01 kg/m
Final mass density: 0.01 kg/1.50 m = 0.0067 kg/m
T = mass (weight) * gravity = x kg*9.8 m/s^2

So now to find T...
I have tried F = -kx, where mg= -kx, and T=-F. Therefore, T = (-500 N/m * 1.50 m) = 750 N, or kgm/s^2.
So... v = square root of: (750 N/0.0067 kg/m) = 334.6 m/s

I am just a little unsure. Could somebody please comment, whether right or wrong? If wrong, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Thank you - I appreciate it very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The tension in the spring would be T = -kx, where k = 5N/cm and x = 50cm, as there is zero tension when the spring is at 100cm.

You should apply the solution to the differential equation, which has

[tex]\beta = \frac{\omega}{V}[/tex]
[tex] V = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\rho}}[/tex]

where V is the transverse wave velocity, T is the tension in the string, and rho is the linear mass density (mass/length). Using that formula, my answer differs.

The derivations here are quite lengthy, involving elastic theory + the wave equation, but I'll review if you'd like.

mezarashi said:
The derivations here are quite lengthy, involving elastic theory + the wave equation, but I'll review if you'd like.

If you have a moment, would you mind reviewing this? I appreciate it. Here is my dilemma this semester : I am confused as to how I ended up in a Calc-based Physics class (eek!) but I am trudging along best I can! Thank you very much for your help -
Ginny

The first step is to derive the wave equation from the case of the classical string. In the case of transverse waves on the string, we see that the mass particles move up and down in the y direction, thus we will look at the forces involved in the y-direction.
For any small differential element [tex]\delta x[/tex] we can resolve the forces acting in the y-direction as the tension acting at both sides at different angles.

Force in y = T1 x sin a - T2 x sin b
But we also know that the horizontal tension T can be expressed both as T1cos a = T2cos b. Using this relationship we can simplify the equation to:

Force in y = T (tan a - tan b)

We also notice that tan a is the slope at any point x. tan b is the slope at any point x + a differential element dx, such that tan a = dy/dx at x and tan b = dy/dx at x+dx.

Applying Newton's law: F = ma or [tex]F = m\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}[/tex]
[tex]F = \rho \delta x\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} = T (dy/dx_1 + dy/dx_2)[/tex]
where rho represents the linear mass density. As the differential element approaches zero, our equation becomes.

[tex]\frac{\rho}{T} \frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} = \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}[/tex]
which is our wave equation (D'Alambert's wave equation in 1-dimension) if we substitute [tex]c^2 = \frac{T}{\rho}[/tex].

Now you can use theories from your study of differential equations to solve, so you have the solution to be in the possible form of:

[tex] y = A exp(j(\omega t - \beta x)) + B exp(j(\omega t + \beta x))[/tex]
Properties of the wave equation tells us that [tex]\beta = \frac{\omega}{v}[/tex] where [tex]v = c = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\rho}}[/tex]

I personally believe that the understanding of the solution to the wave problem and the meaning of the terms in the final wave equation solution is the most important part of all. I remember such classes being tough too >.< Good luck!

Last edited:

1. What is a transverse wave oscillator problem?

A transverse wave oscillator problem refers to an issue with an oscillator that produces transverse waves, also known as perpendicular waves. These waves are characterized by their oscillations being perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer. A problem with the oscillator can lead to disruptions or inaccuracies in the wave's frequency, amplitude, or wavelength.

2. What causes a transverse wave oscillator problem?

There are several potential causes for a transverse wave oscillator problem. Some common reasons include mechanical issues such as loose or damaged components, electrical issues such as faulty wiring or power supply fluctuations, or environmental factors like temperature changes or interference from other electronic devices.

3. How can a transverse wave oscillator problem be diagnosed?

Diagnosing a transverse wave oscillator problem often involves a combination of troubleshooting and testing procedures. This can include checking for physical damage, measuring the output of the oscillator using specialized equipment, and examining the surrounding environment for potential sources of interference. In some cases, the problem may require further investigation by a trained technician or engineer.

4. How can a transverse wave oscillator problem be fixed?

The best course of action for fixing a transverse wave oscillator problem will depend on the specific issue at hand. In some cases, simply replacing a damaged component or adjusting the settings of the oscillator may be enough. Other times, more extensive repairs or replacements may be necessary. It is important to consult with a qualified professional for guidance on the best solution for a particular problem.

5. How can transverse wave oscillator problems be prevented?

To prevent transverse wave oscillator problems, it is important to regularly maintain and inspect the oscillator to ensure it is functioning properly. This can include cleaning and calibrating the equipment as needed, monitoring for any changes in performance, and addressing any issues promptly. Additionally, taking precautions to protect the oscillator from potential sources of damage or interference can help prevent problems from occurring in the first place.