Traveling and Standing Waves in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, to show that a standing wave looks like 2iAe-i\omegatsin(kx), you can subtract two waves moving in opposite directions. Use Euler's formula to represent the waves, and make one of the waves negative in the k term. The cosine terms will cancel, leaving you with a sine term that can be written as 2iAe-i\omegatsin(kx). Remember to use Euler's formula to simplify the complex number in the sine function.
ourio

Homework Statement

A wave in quantum mechanics is represented by Aei(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t). Show that a standing wave looks like 2iAe-i[tex]\omega[/tex]tsin(kx) by subtracting two waves moving in opposite directions. (Hint: make the k negative in one of the waves)

Homework Equations

As far as I know, the 2 equations in the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just follow the hint. How would you represent the wave moving in the opposite direction?

That's the thing... I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I would say it would look something like:

Aei(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t) - Bei(-kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)

But how do I relate it to sine?

ourio said:
That's the thing... I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I would say it would look something like:

Aei(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t) - Bei(-kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)
Good, but use A for the second wave instead of B.
But how do I relate it to sine?
Hint: Look up Euler's formula.

Thanks for the hint about Euler's formula... it really helped. So from the original equation, I now have:

A[cos(kx-wt)+i sin(kx-wt)]-A[cos(-kx-wt)+i sin(-kx-wt)]

I distributed the A term throughout, and found that the cosine terms canceled. I was left with:

Aisin(kx-wt)-Aisin(-kx-wt)

which could be written as

Aisin(kx-wt)+Aisin(kx+wt)

But now I have to somehow re-introduce an exp function and take the 'wt' term from the sine. Hmmmm...

Another hint: ea+b = eaeb

OK... so I found that the original equation can be written as follows:
Aeikxe-iwt
Using Euler's formula on the eikx gives:
Ae-iwt (cos(ikx)+i sin(ikx))

I know that the cosine term will eventually cancel when I subtract. But the complex number in the sine bothers me. Won't that end up being a hyperbolic function? I carried the math through and came up with this:

2iAe-iwt (sin(ikx))

I'm a lot closer, but I don't know how to deal with the complex number in the trig function

Last edited:
ourio said:
Using Euler's formula on the eikx gives:
Ae-iwt (cos(ikx)+i sin(ikx))
Not exactly. Euler's formula says:
eix = cosx + isinx

Oh, I'm an idiot! Of course the complex number isn't in the sine!

Thanks Doc Al for all of your help! I'll never forget about Euler's formula again! :)

1. What is the concept of traveling and standing waves in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, traveling waves refer to particles or systems that can move freely and continuously through space, while standing waves refer to particles or systems that are confined to a specific location. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

2. How are traveling and standing waves related to quantum superposition?

In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as quantum superposition. This is similar to the idea of a standing wave, where a particle is confined to a specific location, but can also have multiple energy states within that location. Traveling waves, on the other hand, can be thought of as a superposition of an infinite number of standing waves with different frequencies and amplitudes.

3. How do traveling and standing waves affect the behavior of particles in quantum systems?

The behavior of particles in quantum systems is heavily influenced by the concept of traveling and standing waves. These waves can determine the energy levels of particles, their probabilities of being in a certain location, and their overall behavior and interactions with other particles.

4. Can traveling and standing waves be observed in experiments?

Yes, traveling and standing waves can be observed in experiments using various techniques such as electron microscopy, spectroscopy, and diffraction patterns. These waves can also be indirectly observed through the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

5. How do traveling and standing waves relate to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This is because particles in quantum systems have wave-like properties, such as traveling and standing waves, which make it impossible to precisely determine their position and momentum at the same time. Therefore, traveling and standing waves are essential in understanding and applying the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.