Triangle inequality proof in Spivak's calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof and the use of inequalities. The speaker is confused about why the expressions are considered equal and suggests an alternative method of solving the problem. They also question the justification for the use of squares in the proof and ask for clarification.
chemistry1
proof.jpg

So hi, there's one little thing which I'm not understanding in the proof. After the inequality Spivak considers the two expressions to be equal. Why?!?

I just don't see why we can't continue with the inequality and when we have factorized the identity to (|a|+|b|)^2 we can just replace (a+b)^2 with (|a+b|)^2 and take the square root of both sides to finally have :

|a+b| <= |a|+|b|

Thank you for explaining !

Physics news on Phys.org
No need to answer, it's understood !

You could also start from ##-|a| \leq a \leq |a|##.

Well, I have another question. When Spivak justifies the passage from the squares to |a+b| <= |a|+|b| he says the following : x^2<y^2 supposes that x<y for x,y in N. Now, the only thing bugging me is the following : Why didn't he do the following x^2<=y^2 supposes that x<=y for x,y in N ? Because what he says only justifies the inequality and not the equality ! Like a part is missing ! Am I right ? Thank you!

1. What is the Triangle Inequality in mathematics?

The Triangle Inequality states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. In other words, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, meaning it is always the shortest possible route.

2. How is the Triangle Inequality used in Spivak's calculus?

In Spivak's calculus, the Triangle Inequality is used to prove the existence of the limit of a function. It is also used to prove the properties of convergent and divergent sequences.

3. What is the proof of the Triangle Inequality in Spivak's calculus?

The proof in Spivak's calculus involves using the definition of a limit and the properties of absolute value. It shows that the distance between two points on a number line must be smaller than the sum of the distances between those points and a third point. This can be extended to triangles, where the third point is the third side of the triangle.

4. How does the Triangle Inequality relate to other mathematical concepts?

The Triangle Inequality is closely related to the concept of a metric space, which is a mathematical structure that defines the distance between points. It is also used in various geometric proofs and is an important concept in higher level mathematics such as topology and functional analysis.

5. Can the Triangle Inequality be applied to shapes other than triangles?

Yes, the Triangle Inequality can be applied to any polygon with three or more sides. It can also be extended to other shapes in general, as long as they can be broken down into smaller triangles. It is a fundamental concept in geometry and is used in many different geometrical proofs.